Without AC comp. on air is soemwhat hot from vents.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Default Without AC comp. on air is soemwhat hot from vents.

If I dont have the AC comp. on and turn the temp **** all the way to cool I still get soemwhat warm air out of the vents. I sense this is not allowing the AC to cool to its max ability. When I turn the temp control **** left to turn extreems I hear the mix door "cluck" at both ends. Any ideas? I know on my 2000 F350 I added an inline vac. operated coolant valve that comes on with the AC to shut hot water flow off to the heater core. My honda also has this same type valve tho cable operated. Anyone have any input here?

Old 04-07-2012, 07:44 AM
4th Gear Member

more details please

does it also do this in the dark?

it might be something as simple as buying a windshield shade

when the temp lever is on cool then coolant should not be flowing to the heater core

Old 04-07-2012, 08:53 AM

I can try it and reply back. So are you saying these cars also have a valve inline of the heater core hose to shut hot coolant flow off in the cold position?

Old 04-07-2012, 08:57 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PCweber
I can try it and reply back. So are you saying these cars also have a valve inline of the heater core hose to shut hot coolant flow off in the cold position?

unless it's been removed

one can only imagine the mods done to cars when repairs were not affordable

again, does it do it at night in the dark? If not, then that big ole black dashboard is the culprit and you should head on over to walmart and buy a sun shade

If the sunshade isn't put on the 95Z then it takes at lease a minute with the A/C for the air to get really cool coming from the ducts

the 3rd gen was awful

But, I live in FL and we have a really strong sun here because we're closer to it

we also don't have snow, rock salt, freezing off our cajones etc etc

Last edited by torque_is_good; 04-07-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:15 AM

thanks for the info. Can you direct me to where the coolant valve should be so I can look for it and confirm operations?

Old 04-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Tech Droid

There is no coolant valve in these cars, heater core is always running hot. The air doors are used to control how the incoming air is being routed and apportioned between the heater core and the evaporator. I had a similar problem in my car when it was new and the dealer could not fix it. I replaced the temp control cable between the control **** and the air door, adjusted it according to the FSM, and problem was solved.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:33 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by z28pete
There is no coolant valve in these cars, heater core is always running hot. The air doors are used to control how the incoming air is being routed and apportioned between the heater core and the evaporator. I had a similar problem in my car when it was new and the dealer could not fix it. I replaced the temp control cable between the control **** and the air door, adjusted it according to the FSM, and problem was solved.
is you sure??? I can swear I saw one just like on the 3rd gen

I'm going under the hood

Old 04-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Tech Droid

Not on the 4th gen, but feel free to search.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:25 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by z28pete
Not on the 4th gen, but feel free to search.
it's one of those things that I need to reassure myself

so that's interesting. If I just want to turn on the fan motor and let fresh air enter the cabin with no heat or A/C, and let it blow onto my tootsies then you are saying that I'll get hot air.

doesn't sound like a good design to me. It's interesting that it would get changed from the 3rd gen to the 4th. The 3rd gens have a valve under the hood which stops coolant flow to the heater core until the temp lever calls for heat.

I've gotten way more involved in all the little intricacies of the 3rd than the 4th

Old 04-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by PCweber
If I dont have the AC comp. on and turn the temp **** all the way to cool I still get soemwhat warm air out of the vents. I sense this is not allowing the AC to cool to its max ability.
I'm curious, with the AC off, just what temperature are you expecting the air coming out to be? The blend doors may not necessarily seal completely air tight. And, with the AC off, you're going to be blowing out boxed in air (radiant heat from the engine compartment and heat from the sun baking on your car). Unless you have the controls set on fresh outside air, what you're getting isn't sounding unusual to me. And even at that, the air is going to feel warm if you're sitting in traffic.
And yeah, my terd gen (91) had a factory high quality plastic, vacuum operated, coolant control valve in the engine compartment.

Quick Reply: Without AC comp. on air is soemwhat hot from vents.