Winter Traction & Tires Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by MelloYello
(get ready for some satire and sarcasm, but seriousness)
Heres the best way to manage your camaro in the snowy weather. Find a nice, warm garage. get your keys to the camaro, start it up. pull the camaro into the garage and place it in park. get a car cover and cover that baby up! Let it rest there until April 2011. Then, when spring comes, you will have a gorgeous car ready to rape ricers. Plus, you will not get stuck, spin out, or go off the road. No worries. Where im from, the winters are so bad that if you try to drive any RWD sports car you literally WONT move.. at all... sit and spinnnnn
I could not agree more. We had the record breaking 30+ feet of snow last year, and no tires, studs, chains, or cables could have gotten me far in that mess in my Camaro. That's why I bought a $500 Blazer with 4 wheel drive. People here don't understand how to drive on normal dry days, let alone how to drive in bad weather. I heard those Blizzaks were good as well, but I wouldn't bother wasting my money on them and risking wreaking my car. My Kumhos have done well in the rain so far, but I still baby her in turns and such. That rear will still end up fishtailing if I take it too fast. The car came with Miradas on and they were really bad in turns on wet roads.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
we got about 7 feet the whole winter
damn well if DR got 30 ft i must have had close to that now that i think about it we would get like a foot every night lol and shes like 6 hrs south of where i used to live

Old 11-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Overdrive Member

I have been driving V6 Camaros since 1998 in the winter -- it's not as bad as one would think if you are prepared (weight in trunk, good tires, small shovel just in case, etc.) -- you all just need to try harder...

Old 11-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

whimps putting there cars away for the 4X4 this winter (being its still 75* during the day) i am praying for snow so i can drive the camaro in it its soooooooooooooooooooooo much fun

Old 11-15-2010, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by MelloYello
(get ready for some satire and sarcasm, but seriousness)
Heres the best way to manage your camaro in the snowy weather. Find a nice, warm garage. get your keys to the camaro, start it up. pull the camaro into the garage and place it in park. get a car cover and cover that baby up! Let it rest there until April 2011. Then, when spring comes, you will have a gorgeous car ready to rape ricers. Plus, you will not get stuck, spin out, or go off the road. No worries. Where im from, the winters are so bad that if you try to drive any RWD sports car you literally WONT move.. at all... sit and spinnnnn

haha same here.. cleveland weather for ya! i agree though completely best thing you can do is not drive it, if thats at all possible

Old 11-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

i lived further north than you guys and was right in the landing zone for lake effect and had absolutely no problem ive had to use my front bumper as a plow of sorts before too

Old 11-15-2010, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
I have been driving V6 Camaros since 1998 in the winter -- it's not as bad as one would think if you are prepared (weight in trunk, good tires, small shovel just in case, etc.) -- you all just need to try harder...
fair enough haha, i guess if your used to doing it that would help. this is my first season in a rwd and im hopin it wont be the last! i just dont wanna drive it WHILE its snowing because i dont want the buildup of snow on the vert top. good luck to all this winter

Old 11-15-2010, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
i lived further north than you guys and was right in the landing zone for lake effect and had absolutely no problem ive had to use my front bumper as a plow of sorts before too
you are one crazy son of a gun haha but do what you gotta do right?

Old 11-15-2010, 11:37 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

ya i bought the car late last oct for 4500$ so there was no way i could afford a winter beater but like i said im an expert driver

and dont worry about the top its canvas the same material they cover boats for the winter with just go to lowes get yourself like 5 bags of cement (much cheaper that sand tubes) throw them in your trunk and get yourself some good *** winter tires (NOT allseason) but save the tires you have now that way you can put them back on in the spring and have the nice expensive winter tires for next year and just drive gentle thats the biggest thing

Last edited by BasicConcepts; 11-15-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:42 PM

i hear ya i bought mine in august, for 4500, and am payin 400 a month... so i better learn quick! haha

Quick Reply: Winter Traction & Tires Thread