Winter Traction & Tires Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Overdrive Member
Question Winter Traction & Tires Thread

So this is the Winter Traction & Tires Thread -- what tires have you found best for traction in the winter and rain, ice, slush and slop of the upcoming season?

I have read Bridgestone Blizzaks (Winter tire) and Michelin Pilot Alpin (Winter tire), or Pirelli Scorpions (All Season) are good choices on all fours -- anyone here who agrees? Something better or different? Are you all going with Winter tires or All Season?

What else have you found beneficial to getting your Camaro moving in the winter? Or any other winter specific mods you have done or plan? Heated Seats?

Thanks all.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 11-13-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

sht last winter i drove with bald tires and no weight had no problem that was in western ny right on the shore of lake Ontario we got about 7 feet the whole winter i had a 30 foot tall mtn so snow in my back yard i built

Last edited by BasicConcepts; 11-14-2010 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have Toyo Tires on my 3.8, and they worked pretty good last year. My bro bought a set of Blizzaks on his 3rd gen and I'd trust them be pretty near top tier tires so your probly set with that!! Mostly just don't drive like it's summer and don't give it to much power haha.

I think I'm parkin my 'Maro this winter though, I finally bought a truck~!

Old 11-14-2010, 12:44 AM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I don't try to move the Camaro in the winter. Even with all the precautions I could take, I'd rather not trust its fate to the other idiots that can't handle snow/ice driving.

I put Nokian Hakkapeliitta R tires on the '08 Cobalt and the AWD Talon before it, and I can't say I was disappointed. It was literally impossible to get stuck, even when we had 12" of snow for awhile. Grip was very good, not quite great, although I had an easy time braking even on mirror-finish ice.

They are expensive though. A set of four at 205/55R16 ran me $1000 installed. 195/60R15 were $800 installed. Thank god I still have the 16s to use on the '10 Cobalt this time 'round.

Last edited by Saint Ebony; 11-14-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:22 AM

my buddy had the Hankook version of the winter tires on his 97 Malibu, cant remember what they were called, but they werent too bad. he drove into ALOT of snow for no reason other than hes an idiot and i only had to pull him out in the 05 explorer once. And that was because he drove into a ditch. Only problem is he burned through them by time spring came around... I heard Blizzaks have the metal spikes in the tread so when the tire compresses from the weight of the car the spikes grip the ground, its like chains for your car lol

Old 11-15-2010, 01:54 AM
Two Cylinders Short of Win

BC, how the hell did you manage that? Sounds Impressive.
No joke a few hours ago I was coming back from a friend's house. There was some light rain today and it was drizzling when I was driving. I was making a left turn from a complete stop after the light turned green and as I complete the turn the car fishtails like crazy. Not just lightly though, it was ridiculous. I've driven a lot more powerful rwd cars and never had this kind of problem. Even my friend's dare i say it? 99 Mustang had more control than this. *Runs to hide at Rdot's*
I think its time for some new rear tires and sandbags.
With that said, throw that into the statistics of seat belts saving lives while we're at it! No, in all seriousness, there were 2 cops behind me that saw it happen...they sped up to me and just drove past. 9 times out of 10 they would have pulled me over in that situation, so I was pretty happy they didn't feel the need to stop me. Wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that its getting fu**in cold out and it was raining?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

well i learned to drive when i was 7 in a pickup in the woods and ive driven in the snow my whole life so im what you call an expert lolololol

Old 11-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Overdrive Member
Exclamation

Hey all, we're talking about CAMAROS, not Malibus, Cobalts, Talons, Explorers or anything else...

Old 11-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by KillNThrill24
I heard Blizzaks have the metal spikes in the tread so when the tire compresses from the weight of the car the spikes grip the ground, its like chains for your car lol
only problem with studs is the first time you get a good spin on the tires you can kiss them goodbye

Old 11-15-2010, 03:38 PM
2nd Gear member

(get ready for some satire and sarcasm, but seriousness)
Heres the best way to manage your camaro in the snowy weather. Find a nice, warm garage. get your keys to the camaro, start it up. pull the camaro into the garage and place it in park. get a car cover and cover that baby up! Let it rest there until April 2011. Then, when spring comes, you will have a gorgeous car ready to rape ricers. Plus, you will not get stuck, spin out, or go off the road. No worries. Where im from, the winters are so bad that if you try to drive any RWD sports car you literally WONT move.. at all... sit and spinnnnn

Quick Reply: Winter Traction & Tires Thread