Transmission problem, input needed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Default Transmission problem, input needed.

I have a 95 z28 m6. (This one to be exact: 95' White Z28, 6spd, mods, very clean - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board) And im having some problems. When the car is off I can shift into any gear without a problem but as soon as I turn on the car I cant shift into any gear no matter what. When I try to force it into gear it will start to engage. For example if I try to put it into first it wont go in but If I hold it against first gear the car will roll a little bit. Same with all the gears including reverse. I bled the clutch lines and both cylinders. And im still having the problem. Does anyone have any idea of what could be happening? Thanks guys.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:14 AM

Oh also, I got the idea to sart it in reverse and see what would happen. I had my foot on the clutch and started the car and it just took off out of my garage with my foot still on the clutch. I applied the brake and that did nothing so I forced it out of gear and turned the car off (after backing up about 300 feet at full speed, I have a long driveway thankfully). Im at a complete loss here guys.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Your clutch is not disengaging. It could be your master cylinder your slave cylinder or a mechanical issue with your clutch fork or the clutch itself.

Step one jack the car up and put it on stands. Watch what the the slave cylinder is doing when a friend pushs the clutchs. I think you should have around an inch of movement. If you see little or no movment then its a hydralic issue. If everything is moving your going to be pulling the tranny to see whats up.

STOP trying to force it, if your lucky you have not completely destroyed the syncro at this point.

Last edited by Gorn; 02-14-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by Gorn
Your clutch is not disengaging. It could be your master cylinder your slave cylinder or a mechanical issue with your clutch fork or the clutch itself.

Step one jack the car up and put it on stands. Watch what the the slave cylinder is doing when a friend pushs the clutchs. I think you should have around an inch of movement. If you see little or no movment then its a hydralic issue. If everything is moving your going to be pulling the tranny to see whats up.

STOP trying to force it, if your lucky you have not completely destroyed the syncro at this point.
i agree dont even start the car until this issue is fixed

Old 02-14-2012, 12:56 PM

Alright thanks guys ill check it out, and stop starting the car.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:22 PM
2nd Gear member

You're not supposed to bleed the hydraulic system for M6 LT1 cars because it's sealed from the factory. The internals of the master and slave wear out about every 80k miles and need to be replaced. You should be able to get the whole system from a GM dealer for <$200.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
You're not supposed to bleed the hydraulic system for M6 LT1 cars because it's sealed from the factory. The internals of the master and slave wear out about every 80k miles and need to be replaced. You should be able to get the whole system from a GM dealer for <$200.
Oh wow I wasnt aware of that, thanks. I guess ill order the kit also. My friend offered to drop the trans for me this week since im busy till 7 everyday. So he's going to replace the clutch. Thanks for all the help guys

Old 02-16-2012, 09:16 AM

Well the clutch went out, and possible took some of the transmission with it. The clutch was a Spec Stage 2. Just going to get it all replaced. Thanks for the help guys!