Window Trim fix suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Default Window Trim fix suggestion

Wasn't bad until late and it is small but annoys me - the trim at the top of the door/bottom of window is lifting up in some places like the windows are pushing it...

not greatest pic but shows piece I am talking about...the metal clips are up completely in some spots.

My search fu may be failing but couldn't find any fix or way to correct this as I don't want to break anything or mess up the paint as it's in remarkable shape

Old 06-14-2010, 02:12 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

yeah you have to go buy new clips.... autozone can order them for you and then you just push them back down in there... if its all rust and shreaded down there a buddy of mine took tiny tiny little screws and did it that way, but be careful the door is made of fiberglass and will crack

Old 06-14-2010, 02:22 PM

awesome - good to know nice and simple - minor thing but major annoyance to me. Happen to know part number or price odd hand?

I have spotted no rust

Old 06-14-2010, 02:37 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

no part number... i did it like 3 years ago on old camaro but i think it was like $10 for both sides... it was cheap

Old 06-14-2010, 03:02 PM

awesome. You are a life saver. I will stop being lazy and see if I can find out the part on their site

Old 06-14-2010, 03:08 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

good idea... you get lazy and your car gets decrepid... gotta keep up on them lol

Old 06-14-2010, 03:12 PM

yeah...I know all about decrepid cars - got a 68 ranger (full size) needing a motor and tranny - and a 93 civic that smokes needing re sprayed

my suburban and camaro look good though

as you replaced before this look like what you bought?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...oductId=854702

Old 06-15-2010, 05:20 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

let us know how the aftermarket window seal works. i replaced the inner seal and the pads and it made a big difference, the window doesnt rattle and wiggle around anymore. make sure its not your door skin coming lose, that has happened on the driver side door on both the 93 z28s ive owned. this one is just starting to come lose so i havent reglued it yet.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Overdrive Member

alot of the time you can just pull the weather strip and re set it back in place. You will need to remove the mirror pull up the moulding and fix any clips that have been bent out of shape. Usually they just need to be pushed back in. when you put the moulding back in make sure that the long part of the clip does not go into the hole in the door skin. That is for the moulding clips to grab onto not go into. you kinda gotta get them all lined up and in the slot then I usually start at the rear of the door and push them in one clip at a time. When you get to the part under and in front of the mirror get a block of wood (I use a 1x4) and a hammer and lightly tap it back in. (the mirror post will fight the moulding). Reinstall the mirror and bingo you are done.

The strips you looked up at autozone are not the ones that will work with our cars. They are for the trucks and/or generic. The mouldings for the camaro are very specific and you need to use one from our cars to get it to fit right.

Massey

Old 06-16-2010, 11:08 AM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

yeah i didnt get whole strips... just new clips, and autozone did have those

Quick Reply: Window Trim fix suggestion