What's this noise? Vid -

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Angry What's this noise? Vid -

98 V6 Camaro
Auto

It has made this noise for a brief second or two when I'd get on the gas in reverse since I've owned it (just a few months now).

Now just today, it's doing it constantly in reverse and it's starting to do it when I'm driving in forward gears. In drive, bumps in the road will make it make the noise, as does slowing down to a stop. It's getting worse, fast. What is it? u-joint gone?
EDIT: USE THIS LINK: Youtube is being really slow on processing my upload:
View My Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of8sYGAWPnI
excuse the mess in the car.... I know its disgusting.
I JUST uploaded the vid, so it might take a bit to show up.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:33 PM

Since the video is taking so **** long for youtube to process... it's a really loud grinding/vibrating noise.. To me it sounds like metal-on-metal banging/grinding. It is almost constant in reverse... in park/neutral, it goes away for the most part. In drive, it's intermittent but quickly working its way to being constant.
I'm trying to upload the vid to another source, see if it's faster.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Overdrive Member

I had a Cutlass make a similar noise. It turned out to be a loose flywheel. Take the inspection cover off and make sure that all the bolts are tight on the torque Converter. If that is not it then I am at a loss for any ideas other than internal failures.

Massey

Old 06-06-2010, 08:16 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

wow never heard it before, whens the last time the trany was serviced,,, oil and filter change?

Old 06-06-2010, 08:16 PM

Really? It's looking worse than I thought.
Where's the inspection cover? I'm not really versed in digging into these cars. This thing is new to me and I may be regretting buying it. I can't afford this mess right now.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by craby
wow never heard it before, whens the last time the trany was serviced,,, oil and filter change?
Don't know. I've only had the car for a few months. I (stupidly) traded a Chevy truck for it, for gas mileage reasons as I had lost my job.
The fluid level is fine and doesn't seem burnt. Otherwise I have no idea as to what's been serviced on it.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Overdrive Member

The inspection plate is up where the engine and tranny meet. it can be removed with 4 bolts and once it is down you can see where the starter meets the flywheel and where the torque converter and flywheel are.

The Torque converter will be held in with 3 bolts maybe 4. Make sure they are all tight and not missing.

Massey

Old 06-06-2010, 08:35 PM

Just went and took it for a spin again.. Didn't make the noise right away, but just took a minute for it to come back. It definitely makes the noise over bumps in the road. It does it in reverse constantly. Occasionally in drive.. over bumps, randomly while cruising (briefly, maybe one or two seconds worth of noise), and while slowing to a stop.
Double checked the fluids, all normal. It shifts just as it should.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Massey
The inspection plate is up where the engine and tranny meet. it can be removed with 4 bolts and once it is down you can see where the starter meets the flywheel and where the torque converter and flywheel are.

The Torque converter will be held in with 3 bolts maybe 4. Make sure they are all tight and not missing.

Massey
Ok thanks for the info.

One question I'll ask that is probably open to opinion... would you drive the car like this? Thing is, I just sold my house (WITH A GARAGE, dammit) and moved into an apartment with no garage til I find a job.. so if I want to do any work myself, it's an hour drive (60 miles) to a friends place who has the space for me to work.
Just don't want to go cruisin around if I'm gonna completely wreck the thing.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:49 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

hopefully massey has it right. this is the closest thing i could find on it.
20. Trans seems noisy when moving in 1st and Reverse, noise goes away instantly if you shift to N or the trans goes into 3rd gear: Reaction planetary is worn out due to high miles or insufficient lubrication. Not a critical failure, but not a good sign either. R&R sooner rather than later

Quick Reply: What's this noise? Vid -