sell
42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default what would you do?

I have a 98 camaro v6 5 spd i bought for my first car. I paid $2750 for it. 6 months after i got it the engine died. I replaced it with a 05 buick engine. That cost about $1300 total to do. But the car has lots of problems, It needs new shocks/springs, new exhaust system, a rim, bushings, some interior parts, a winsheild and wipers and the paint is not very good. My question is if this was your first car and you didnt have a job, would you fix the car up or get something better? By the time the engine died i saved about $1000 to fix it up but that all went into the engine. Also based on what i said about the car, what do you think its worth?

Thanks

Old 03-29-2011, 04:15 PM
3rd Gear Member

I'd personally keep it and fix it up. Sadly these cars aren't worth very much. You could probably get back what you Paid for the car.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I bet the v6's arnt worth much because it's a base engine. In my mind I would like to do bilstine shocks, lowing springs, ss sway bars, headers, ss exhaust better intake but then I realize I don't have a job . It also needs o2 sensors and has an idling problem

Old 03-29-2011, 04:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

It's a good way to start getting that stuff since it needs replacement anyways.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Overdrive Member

Think of it this way... You have an 13 year old car that now has a low mileage engine in it, and that is the big repair there. The rest of the stuff that is needed will be needed on ANY 13+ year old car. This one is paid for, no monthly car payments means more money in your pocket. It is also a great learning chance here. Doing all the little things to make the car like new will teach you how to maintain your car and also after it is all done you will have a like new old car. As for the V6... I love mine. I prefer to drive my little V6 over my wifes Z28, why? It is a smooth running cruiser. Dont get me wrong I love the Z but it is more for play than to commute in.

Massey

Old 03-29-2011, 05:13 PM

I love mine dearly and your story hits me hard. But I do agree with Massey that another car payment would be another potencial problem down the line in a different car. So I ask how deep is your love for this car? And why I do is because: you will treat it better than the next car. Feel pride in the new engine if you can afford it and have a 13 year old beauty compared to a newish/every-one-can-have car. Proud Camaro owner.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Overdrive Member

Here is what I had in high school.

Name:  mustang2-1.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  48.4 KB

Yes it is a classic Mustang, at the time this picture was taken it was the beginning of my Sr. year in HS (1992) the car was 23 years abused. I had to trailer it home, replace the fuel tank, clean the fuel lines, fix ALOT of wiring, rebuild the calipers, and as you can see the exterior and interior of the car was not pretty. What did I do?

I rebuilt the car. My school had an auto mech program that I had already spent 2 years in, and my Sr. year I was able to get into a Auto Body program. I spent 9 months and tore the car down to nothing and when it came out of the garage near graduation this is what it looked like.

Name:  mustang.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  73.8 KB

Yes it took alot of time, quite a bit of money (I worked at a grocery store) but in the end I learned alot about how to do my own work and I had alot of pride in the finished product.

Your car should be alot easier to work on then a 23yr old abused, ex drag car. You will not have to worry about rust (I didnt have much) your parts are still easy to find in wrecking yards and at the dealer. and being that 1/2 of the car cant be dented the body work should be alot easier.

Massey

Old 03-29-2011, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member

You guys have some good points. what really made me ask this question is right now the car is not really fun to drive, because of things like the extremaly loud exhaust the last owner put on, the sloppy suspenson, and it drinks gas because of the sensors. I know i can fix these problems , its just a matter of money. But i do like this car and when i was looking for a car this matched what i wanted perfectly.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Massey
Here is what I had in high school.

Yes it is a classic Mustang, at the time this picture was taken it was the beginning of my Sr. year in HS (1992) the car was 23 years abused. I had to trailer it home, replace the fuel tank, clean the fuel lines, fix ALOT of wiring, rebuild the calipers, and as you can see the exterior and interior of the car was not pretty. What did I do?

I rebuilt the car. My school had an auto mech program that I had already spent 2 years in, and my Sr. year I was able to get into a Auto Body program. I spent 9 months and tore the car down to nothing and when it came out of the garage near graduation this is what it looked like.

Yes it took alot of time, quite a bit of money (I worked at a grocery store) but in the end I learned alot about how to do my own work and I had alot of pride in the finished product.

Your car should be alot easier to work on then a 23yr old abused, ex drag car. You will not have to worry about rust (I didnt have much) your parts are still easy to find in wrecking yards and at the dealer. and being that 1/2 of the car cant be dented the body work should be alot easier.

Massey
My brother kinda did the same thing in HS. He had a 90's nissan truck that he repainted and all that stuff. when that was done he bought a 97 s-10 SS brand new during sr. year My other brother took a different approch in hs, he bought a 92 mustang 5.0 that was like new. anyways i would love to make my car into something great, its just a matter of money.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

Start off by replacing the o2 sensors if that is forsure what's wrong. Then you'll have better milage and idle. Loud exhaust isn't that much of a job to replace. When you got some cash saved up. Suspension you could probably just start with the shocks then if you want to lower it later you just have to get springs and a panrod bar.