What should I do?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

So today on the way to school I attempted to double clutch. I definitely noticed a difference in gears 1-4. They went into gear with little or no resistance. However when I double clutch 5th it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I was able to get it into gear maybe 5 times and only 3 of which didn't grind because of double clutching. When it didn't work it felt like something is blocking my shifter from going into that gear so I have to back off put it back into 4th speed up more and try it again. I hate doing this because I'm just wasting gas. But I think with more practice with double clutching and time I'll be just fine driving it until I get things in order to sell it and or fix it. Again thanks for all the help guys.

One last question though:
If I am to sell this car, what in your guys opinion would be a reasonable price? I blue-booked my car in the current condition which by the descriptions seems to be "fair" condition. Kelly blue book came back with a negotiation starting point of almost $3k. I do have considerably much more money in the car with tinted windows, $700 set of 1yr old Cooper tires, a $1500 sound system, aftermarket bluetooth, K&N stock airfilter and catback exhaust. Granted the car needs a $2k transmission job but should I still try to get $3k out of it or take $2k off for the trans job? What would you guys try to get out of it if it were you? Thanks.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Try to get what you can and see how it goes. But you might want to keep your $1500 sound system, unless you don't have the stock stereo to put back in.
BTW, when you're not double-clutching, does the trans crunch the gears only if you shift fast, or does it do it when you granny shift too?

Old 08-27-2009, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

It's does grind when I shift fast but when i granny shift it doesn't go in at all. It acts like something is blocking my shifter from going into gear. But every so often I catch it just right were it goes in without grinding. Also it's weird because if it's the first time trying to go into gear since I've started my car it almost always goes in like nothings wrong. But after that first smooth engage it never goes in smooth again. I don't understand that at all?