What is this noise?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sounds like a dry idler pulley bearing, alternator, or the A/C clutch. Remove the belt as Massey suggested, then run the engine again and listen.
While the belt is off, give all the pulleys a turn by hand and listen for any noise.
It sounds too loud to me for it to be an internal engine noise.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:43 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i second that motion. ^^^

Old 06-17-2010, 11:44 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by osduck5
The first camaro we bought had a loud tapping noise at the front of the engine that sounded like something under the valve cover was broken, and that was what we hoped for but once we disassembled it, the piston had marks on the top of it where it had hit the head and made the image of where the head is cut for the valves. The bearing was shot on that cylinder so bad that one half of it had slide under the other half.

That would raise the piston up and cause that to happen. I would have hated to see how bad that crank would have been scored. I think I would have used that engine as a core and just went and bought a rebuilt one from my local part supplier.

Massey

Old 06-18-2010, 08:56 AM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

A/C Clutch seems like a possibility, since my AC stopped working a week ago (the AC worked fine with the noise for 2 weeks). I have the car sitting at a dealer service shop for diagnosis right now, should have it back around lunch. I told them to take off the belt and check the accessory pulleys, so hopefully that will do it.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:02 AM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

shop said it's a lifter, but they never removed the accessory belt like I originally asked them to. I told them to do that and see what happens...no word back from them yet.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by WIspartan1026
shop said it's a lifter, but they never removed the accessory belt like I originally asked them to. I told them to do that and see what happens...no word back from them yet.
Oh, Im good Even if he is wrong I came up with the same thing the dealer did from a crappy movie LOL.

If you are wondering what the heck I am talking about go look at WIspartan project thread where he posted the video first.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:07 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Massey
That would raise the piston up and cause that to happen. I would have hated to see how bad that crank would have been scored. I think I would have used that engine as a core and just went and bought a rebuilt one from my local part supplier.

Massey
I scrapped everything except the block. The cranki had groves in it that made it look like the threads on a bolt.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by osduck5
I scrapped everything except the block. The cranki had groves in it that made it look like the threads on a bolt.

LOL yea I kinda figured something like that would have happened.

A lifter!? hmmm I have never heard a lifter squeek... AC clutch bearings sure they usually squeek when they are about to die. Not sure if there is an idler available to put in place of the AC comp if you dont want to replace it right away. There is an idler for the 3.4L engine, and the 3.4 and LT1 use the same comp so you may be able to use the one for the 3.4 if you dont have the $$ for a new comp.

Massey

Old 06-20-2010, 09:25 PM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I think I'm gonna take the car to a shop to get a 2nd opinion...But I have much bigger issues with my transmission right now which need to get fixed first.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Fancy Sparkle

Originally Posted by Massey
LOL yea I kinda figured something like that would have happened.

A lifter!? hmmm I have never heard a lifter squeek... AC clutch bearings sure they usually squeek when they are about to die. Not sure if there is an idler available to put in place of the AC comp if you dont want to replace it right away. There is an idler for the 3.4L engine, and the 3.4 and LT1 use the same comp so you may be able to use the one for the 3.4 if you dont have the $$ for a new comp.

Massey
or just get a belt for a non-A/C LT1...

Quick Reply: What is this noise?!?!?!?!