What Kind Of Brakes Should I Get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 02:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default What Kind Of Brakes Should I Get?

My brakes are definitely not the best. They stop fine, but they squeak quite a bit when I slowly stop. If I slam on the brakes, they don't squeak at all. But I can just tell that they're not up to par. A friend of mine who has a Mustang () did Hawk pads & rotors I believe, Stoptech lines, and Brembo rotors - and it's a pretty decent setup, but I obviously don't have $1700 to spend on a brake setup. Just to give a better idea, I have an '00 V6, but I'm wanting to put a 5.3 in it and do cams, exhaust, and headers to get more power. So, what kind of brake setup do you think I should go with?

Old 05-27-2013, 03:57 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

C5 corvette brake swap.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

^That.

Or if you are trying to stay cheaper, slotted rotors and Hawk pads from Ws6store are pretty inexpensive, the rotors are only around $170. Also, your suspension has a lot to do with braking performance, might be worth it to look into better shocks such as Bilstein.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:42 AM
Overdrive Member

Keeping everything stock I would replace the rotors, calipers and get top grade ceramic pads such as the Wagner ThermoQuiet or Raybestos Super Stops. I shortened my stopping distance by 20 feet using all stock equipment, just by switching to ceramic. Vented rotors will also help as they disparate heat better.

The mods above are also good.

Massey

Old 05-28-2013, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm replacing both my brakes and rotors. I'm getting ebay's Brake Motive rotor and Raybesos pads. It's costing me $210 for parts for front and rear. I don't know what the labor will cost but it's not going to be $1700. Your friend got took to the cleaners!

I have a '98 V6 so I know where you are coming from. Don't do the 5.3, there is plenty of power in the 3.8 and you can pass gas pumps also. I have aftermarket headers and a aftercat exhaust. I got a lot of power just from this.

Remove you air buffer "air dam" and think functional air scoop. I get 37 MPG on the highway and a V8 can't come lose to that.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Try not to buy into all the "drilled & slotted rotors are better" hype. There are some things to consider.
Drilled and slotted rotors have less friction area than standard rotors do. Add up the area that all those holes and slots take away, and that's how much less surface area the pads will have to grab onto. That's beneficial how?
Drilled rotors can be a benefit to dissipate heat if you're track racing, where you're pouring fast and hard into the turns and then hitting the brakes. You're not driving like that on the street.
Rotors that are "drilled" are more prone to cracking than the "good" kind that are actually cast with the holes in them. Drilling the holes after the fact can create weak spots in the metal.
Under the same driving conditions above, slotted rotors can help dissipate the gases, help shed away pad dust, and assist in scrubbing the pads. That scrubbing action however, shortens your pad life, so keep that in mind.
For a street car, you're paying a lot just for the "ooh factor". And if you're buying the rotors on the cheap, they are cheap.
You may hear "but I noticed a huge improvement in stopping, since I installed my nifty drilled & slotted rotors". Yep, you sure did. And compared to the old worn and glazed brakes you used to have, you would have noticed an improvement even with the el cheapo Chinese made Autozone rotors and pads.
But it is your money afterall, throw it away however you want.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:25 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep i got a set of cheep china rotors here that didnt last long before they warped. powerstop seem to hold up fine and like the hawk ceramic pads. i would think a switch to ls brakes would be a step up.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:39 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mfmfim
I'm replacing both my brakes and rotors. I'm getting ebay's Brake Motive rotor and Raybesos pads. It's costing me $210 for parts for front and rear. I don't know what the labor will cost but it's not going to be $1700. Your friend got took to the cleaners!

I have a '98 V6 so I know where you are coming from. Don't do the 5.3, there is plenty of power in the 3.8 and you can pass gas pumps also. I have aftermarket headers and a aftercat exhaust. I got a lot of power just from this.

Remove you air buffer "air dam" and think functional air scoop. I get 37 MPG on the highway and a V8 can't come lose to that.
That $1700 he mentioned was for a c5, corvette, brake swap. The C5 vettes brakes are much better than the fbodies.

Plenty of power for an everyday commuter car sure, but if the guy wants to try to swap then go for it. Read his other thread to understand better.

While a v8 can't come close to "37" mpg, it can get 28 with 350+ hp....

Old 05-28-2013, 12:48 PM
1st Gear Member

And I've very close to having 350 hp. I'm not trying to put V8's down but I'm no ashamed of my V6.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:58 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mfmfim
And I've very close to having 350 hp. I'm not trying to put V8's down but I'm no ashamed of my V6.
Unless your V6 is turbo'd and you forgot to mention that, I find it hard to believe it's making 350 hp with basic bolt ons.

Your local auto parts store OE style pads and rotors will do fine for DD and the occasional emergency stop. I have pretty much zilch on my rear brakes, leaving my fronts to do more of the stopping than they already have to do and I still have no problems stopping, even in the rain and I only have WearEver rotors and the silver line of pads on the front.

If you are looking for the extra stopping power, the C5 upgrade is much more worth it in my opinion, than getting D/S rotors.

Quick Reply: What Kind Of Brakes Should I Get?