What are easy 3.4L mods for my car then.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:44 PM
I Like to Party

^^^^Some city's dont have good ads, I know mine doesnt. It depends on if you live in a major major city. Then you can find whatever you want within like the last day or 2. to this day I havent found ONE set of Z06 rims. been looking out for 3 months.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:51 PM
2nd Gear member

Idk I will do basic repairs that the car needs like oil changes transmission mount etc. If the car needs maitnence I will fix It. But other then that Im not putting much money Into the car. I would buy a z28 then put money Into that. I will keep this car for a couple years then.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:59 PM
I Like to Party

Why not just save up and buy a 5.7L engine and just swap that shiz. May take awhile but im sure someone will sell a z28 engine for a decent price(Warning it does require moving around the engine bay a little). That way you wont have to worry about selling your car etc. I plan on having an LT1 swap around Christmas hopefully.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 4thGen4Lyfe
Why not just save up and buy a 5.7L engine and just swap that shiz. May take awhile but im sure someone will sell a z28 engine for a decent price(Warning it does require moving around the engine bay a little). That way you wont have to worry about selling your car etc. I plan on having an LT1 swap around Christmas hopefully.

If money is an issue then swapping in a V8 is not the answer. You should check out the V8-V6 swap thread in the V6 section. You really need a complete donor car, the V6 and V8 share very few parts. Since you computer is designed for a V6 it will not work with a V8 so it have to be swapped but it does not stop there. If the computer you find is not the same year as your car then you have to replace most of the sub system under the dash. Short list of parts looks like this.
Engine
Transmission (V6 will not bolt up)
K- Frame
PCM wiring harness
Gage cluster
Radiator
All hoses
Higher volume fuel pump and fuel lines.

That’s if you find the same year. You are basically striping your car down to the shell and rebuilding using used parts. In that process you WILL break and find broken parts. A job like this will $100 you to death. It is not a job for an inexperience guy with limited funds. They only time the job is worth doing is when you have a known good Z28 that is wrecked bad and you can pick up a V6 cheap. You really want to be 100% sure the V8 donor is in good shape. You do not want to put all that money and effort in and then find out the trans slips hot or the motor has low oil pressure hot.

Buy a Z28 with a blown head gasket on the other hand can be done for around $1200 add another $300 to $400 and you got a car worth more than you paid for it. Converted cars normally sell as parts cars cause no one want to trust the conversion.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-26-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:17 PM
4th Gear Member

with bolt ons and a tune one can hope to achieve 10-15% gain in rear wheel HP, perhaps a wee bit more. So, I belive the 3.4 was in the neighborhood of 150-160 flywheel HP wehn new so that's around 120-130 RWHP for an automatic tranny. Do you want to spend the money for 12- 18 RWHP?

Old 09-26-2011, 02:29 PM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by Gorn
If money is an issue then swapping in a V8 is not the answer. You should check out the V8-V6 swap thread in the V6 section. You really need a complete donor car, the V6 and V8 share very few parts. Since you computer is designed for a V6 it will not work with a V8 so it have to be swapped but it does not stop there. If the computer you find is not the same year as your car then you have to replace most of the sub system under the dash. Short list of parts looks like this.
Engine
Transmission (V6 will not bolt up)
K- Frame
PCM wiring harness
Gage cluster
Radiator
All hoses
Higher volume fuel pump and fuel lines.

That’s if you find the same year. You are basically striping your car down to the shell and rebuilding using used parts. In that process you WILL break and find broken parts. A job like this will $100 you to death. It is not a job for an inexperience guy with limited funds. They only time the job is worth doing is when you have a known good Z28 that is wrecked bad and you can pick up a V6 cheap. You really want to be 100% sure the V8 donor is in good shape. You do not want to put all that money and effort in and then find out the trans slips hot or the motor has low oil pressure hot.

Buy a Z28 with a blown head gasket on the other hand can be done for around $1200 add another $300 to $400 and you got a car worth more than you paid for it. Converted cars normally sell as parts cars cause no one want to trust the conversion.
Very true. Not to make excuses but I had had a few beers when I posted that ;D It definitely wasnt the right answer by far. Your right.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:47 PM
2nd Gear member

It would be to much hard work making It all fit correctly etc and I have almost zero experience In fixing cars so It would be even more of a Job I would rather save my money for a z28 and my parents bought me a truck for the winter for my birthday that I am going to fix up a little and sell then sell my car and buy a z28 for next summer; I will mod that with cold air Intake; subs; new muffler or exhaust setup If It Is rusted out but probably a new muffler; maybe new headers; Im not really sure what else a person can do to a car because I dont know much about cars but I am trying to learn as much as I can because I like working of vehicles and I want to be a mechanic when I am older but I dont understand most the cars terminology I know the basic parts of a vehicle and there function but dont know much about modding or what goes with what as far as If a new part will be compatable etc Its all confusing then.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Overdrive Member

3.4L = 160 HP at the flywheel.

I would focus on suspension first, since it's a daily driver -- you will notice those improvements daily.

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
with bolt ons and a tune one can hope to achieve 10-15% gain in rear wheel HP, perhaps a wee bit more. So, I belive the 3.4 was in the neighborhood of 150-160 flywheel HP wehn new so that's around 120-130 RWHP for an automatic tranny. Do you want to spend the money for 12- 18 RWHP?

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 09-26-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 94ChevyCamaroV6
I want to be a mechanic when I am older but I dont understand most the cars terminology
Its a great hobbie but a terrible way to make a living. Just about any craftsmen type job pays better and has better working conditions. I remember those 103 deg day working on hot cars. I use to go thru a gallon of water a day. Even with a 2year degree and all my certs the guy sweeping the floor at Kellogs made twice what I did.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:08 PM
2nd Gear member

I looked up It said the average Income Is 70k a year.

Quick Reply: What are easy 3.4L mods for my car then.