what to do???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Default What to do

[i jus got my first camaro its a 94 z28. the guy i got it from used to b raced. he said the motor was put back to stock except for the aftermarket heads were left on it. that all i know about the car. any suggestions on what i should do to the car? im thinkin a cam, crank, headers, and intake. but i dont know what brands gears ratios or any of that gear head stuff. give me some help

whats a good cam to put in my 94 z28? im stock wright now but i plan on get a 383 kit this winter. i only hear bput the cc 306 cam. any other suggestions cuz i dont really know anything im new to this and im goin off what ive found on the net. thanks

its got 175,xxx miles i was told it was rebuilt at about 100,xxx. i can c that the exhaust manifold was removed and replaced before and the heads dont look stock but im not sure exactly what they are. they might be stock. I want to make it a force on the streets. I was thinkin of gettin a 383 kit, lloyd elliot cam, pacesetter headers, flow masters, and upgrade the ignition system. atleast thats whats been suggested to me so far

i found a shop in cincinatti who said if i drop off the block with the heads they'll determine if the heads r aftermarket and do what needs to b done to install a 383 eagle cranks for $1700. its a performance shop the eagle cranks recommended to me. my girl firend is gettin me my headers and cam from jegs for xmas i jus gotta figue out what i want.

i planned on buying everything over the winter and gettin it all installed together. i was just trying to get all the info i needed before i started buying thing. jus jus dont know much about brands and specs when it comes to this stuff. i never done anything internal to a car. heres a complete list of what i plan to do.

cam
383 eagle crank (shop will install and change other parts needed for this upgrade)
heads (not sure if the current ones r stock)
pacesetter headers
electric exhaust cuttouts
flowmaster exhaust
msd ignition system

i emailed llyod im waiting to see what he suggest. but as of now im goin with Comp Cams CL07-464-8.

i got a 94 z28 pretty much stock i think, and im ready to fix it up. but i know nothing about working on these cars so i need help. its not gonna be a track car but i want it to move. i dont wanna jus take it to the shop and they not give me what im looking for. . i dont wanna do temp upgrades that ima upgrade later either. lol waste of money. i want a 383 crank and a cam thats all i know. i know absolutly nothing else. so what would you do with a stock z28?

im gonna get a crank and a cam do you think i should get new heads or get stock heads redone?

whats so good about opti spark? does the brand matter? or can i jus get a $80 knock off instead of the $200+ msd opti spark

Last edited by z28pete; 12-30-2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: related posts
Old 12-21-2010, 09:21 AM
2nd Gear member

We need a little more information. How many miles, and does your car have the A4 or manual.

The first thing you need to do is figure out what you have.
You have a '94 Z28 that a previous owner said was raced. But then he put back to stock before selling it.
He either is lying about the racing, or lying that is was put back to stock (or never did any upgrades in the first place), or he thrashed the crap out of it on Friday nights at the local rod-run.
Second, you need to figure out what you want the car to be. Daily driver? Street terror? All out racer?
Before throwing any money at the car, you have to answer those two questions: 1) What do you have, and 2) What do you want to do with it. Those answers will completely determine what you need to do in which order.
After you have those answers, you need to figure out what you can afford to spend on the hobby / project. If you have never done this sort of thing before (hopping up a car) you will quickly be surprised how much this hobby can cost.

Good luck with the car, and welcome to the forums.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:42 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you can have your stock intake p&p'd at elliotts. pick up some long tube headers and a good exhaust. add a cai and you have a good start. changing cam can be a pain and once you get that far into it your gona want to do more.
http://www.elliottsportworks.com/lt1.html

Old 12-22-2010, 08:19 AM
4th Gear Member

I would not buy a single performance part, even for XMAS until you've had the block and heads checked. You have no idea as to what you have nor what "rebuilt at 100k miles" actually means. My idea of a rebuild probably differs greatly from another person's idea.

Unless I'm just looking to get another year from a vehicle, when the engine comes out, it's going to be made so i hopefully won't have to mess with it for several years.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:37 AM
2nd Gear member

^^^What he said^^^
An engine rebuilt 75K+ miles ago may not be worth its weight in mule spit. You said that the car had been raced. So, if it was raced it after the rebuild, then in my opinion, the whole engine and rest of drivetrain is questionable.

Until you drop the engine and open it up, then you really don't know what all it will need. I would walk away from any shop that is quoting you $1700 to prep the block and heads for a new 383 crank, when they haven't even seen the parts they are going to work with.

If you are looking for a shop, ask some of the local racers who does their machine work. You may find that there are no local shops that the local racers are using, and that would be for a reason.