What could be the cause?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Default What could be the cause?

'Ello everyone, I have a few issues with my current 1995 3.4L V6 Camaro.

I have found that there is this annoying whirring-grindy-spinny (best I can think to describe it) noise upon accelerating. It typically starts at around 3,000 RPM and only when the car is in drive/gear. I tested giving it gas while parked and it sounded normal. It also tends to get more noticeable as the RPMs increase when getting on interstate; Where it really sounds more like something spinning/vibrating rather than a simple grinding noise.

I would also like to note that my serpentine belt has been rather annoying and slightly loud lately.. not sure if that's related or not.

However once I'm up and going everything sounds fine until I have to accelerate again. It is most definitely coming from the front of the car and I want to get it checked out soon.

Any ideas where to start? Anything do-it-yourself, things to tell the people when I do get it checked out, etc.

I'm also currently having issues cold starting (but I've checked other topics in that regard).

Thanks.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

On the interstate you should not be at 3000 RPMs. Does the noise pitch get higher with engine RPM or the speed of the car (MPH). That is very important. Have you checked you Carrier bearing?

Old 11-28-2012, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
On the interstate you should not be at 3000 RPMs. Does the noise pitch get higher with engine RPM or the speed of the car (MPH). That is very important. Have you checked you Carrier bearing?
I meant when I reach that RPM/go past it while giving it gas. After I'm up to speed it goes back down like normal and I don't hear the noise anymore.

No I haven't, I've yet to get underneath and check anything, thought I'd get some ideas first.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The noise could be related to the serp. belt or a pulley driven accessory. I'm putting my dollar bet on it being the A/C clutch going bad.
For kicks, turn the A/C on and off and see if there is a difference in the sound, or if it goes away completely.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:16 AM

I'm going to start getting it all looked into today. I've heard a separate noise from the AC actually. Sometimes, if I give it some gas before I'm up to speed, it'll make this horrid moaning sound.. and also it tends to run out of refrigerant oddly fast.

I've noticed a more obvious air/hissing noise from the front right of the car as well. It's though air is either escaping or being sucked in somewhere.

Thanks for the replies thus far!

Old 12-02-2012, 05:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

sound like something on the belt if not maybe converter..