What color should I repaint my 98?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 01:32 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default What color should I repaint my 98?

Got this camaro almost a month ago, and the engine and body(besides the front clip) are good, but the paint is fugly.

After replacing a bunch of misc. parts, thinking of finally getting it repainted next check. Still need a passenger seat cupholder, mine was missing and broke when I got the car.

Was thinking a metallic blue, a dark one, maybe with white stripes, but its a V6 so I don't really want people thinking its for racing. Either that or black, with red stripes if I get a cheapie paint job, since they may leave the door jams red... or just repaint it red. need to get a new hood as well, thinking an SS hood just for looks.

Also need to know, can the front clip be fixed easily or does it cost a lot to fix or just need to be replaced?

http://oi45.tinypic.com/15cf52b.jpg

no the sides are not warped, its just the ugly paint and photo angle.

suggestions?

Old 06-11-2012, 01:56 AM
4th Gear Member

For the front clip, you'd have some sanding to do, but with the clear coat mostly gone all ready, it's easier.

For paint, personally, if I ever repainted my car again I'd be going with a candy apple red. I saw a Z06 today at work that was a candy apple and I nearly had to change my pants cause it looked so good. But painting it depends on your favorite color(s) and how much you want to spend on it. Anything candy or metallic is gonna cost some $$$. One because the paint will be expensive, not to mention body work if you don't do it yourself, and if it's a true professional then they will want to get into the door jambs, under the hood, the engine bay, every where so the car is completely matched.

Now if you stick with the red that is on it now, you can get away with not being as detailed which will bring the cost down. Paint will also be cheaper. If you're able to do most of the work, excluding primer/paint/clear, you may get away with a paint job that's under a grand. All depends on what the shop charges for labor and the price of everything needed in your area.

Adding stripes isn't too bad if you have someone who knows what they're doing.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes

people keep telling me a cheapie paint job for around $300 would be fine if I sanded down the car and primer it before I get it repainted. but its gonna cost a lot more for a metallic blue?

also, what must I sand down on the front clip? the black spots on it, are where it has actually been separated, its not just paint scratched off, don't know if you saw that or not.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:17 AM
3rd Gear Member

Not a proponent of this place in any way, but we had my sons zx2 painted by Maaco, their "cheap" $300 paint job (ended up being $350 with shop charges and all). They do all the sanding and body prep, but if you have body damage, paint chips, etc, it will cost more to fix that before painting (if you want it fixed). For this cost, you do not get a clearcoat, so after a few months, the paint will be dull looking.I would not recomomend it unless you are a fan of the "matte" finish because that's what it will end up looking like, even waxing it didn't make it shine. Adding clearcoat would have added @$250, but since this was his first car and a beater/learner car, I did not want to spend that much on it. When it comes to paint, you get what you pay for. You could spend $300 and get it just painted or spend probably a couple grand to get it "re-painted" another color. I'm in the same boat, I need mine repainted. Going to stick with the same color, but I want a clearcoat as well.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:01 AM
2nd Gear member

whatever is cool but make sure make the roof black and side mirrors also :-)
and polish the head lights :-)

Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 AM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

2 words, hugger orange

Old 06-11-2012, 12:26 PM
4th Gear Member

If you're going to do it once, do it right.

I wouldn't settle for some cheapo paint job. Ask a few shops what it would cost for you to get it painted and cleared. Can you do all the sanding and body work as well as primer yourself?

For the front end, if it's cracked (broken) you have two options. Buy a brand new one off the web or a parts store....or visit a local salvage yard for one. A new one through a auto parts store would be around $300.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member

get it done the same color in either single stage urethane or dual stage metallic. (you cant buff a metallic single stage) if the clear coat is peeling take a razor and chase it till it stops. sand the whole car in the really messed up spots and primer it with a rattle can and sand it smooth. scuff the ok spots and shoot it with your single stage. i have seen many taken care of nice single stages done right (not maaco) last ten years. my new one a friend did for me at 800 looks literally flawless. everyone i show it to thinks its a dual stage 4k paint job remember if you paint it a different color you gotta do the engine bay and door jams. not saying single is better than dual... its NOT! but if you make friends with a guy that has a booth you can get unbelievable results at an excellent price... if you have the money dont hesitate and get a dual stage in the oem color. or black

Last edited by imcdowel; 06-11-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

as an option- with all the money you can spend on a paint job, you can get better results doing it yourself for dirt cheap. its not hard..... you can even do it outside if you pick the perfect day and are ok with extra sanding and buffing. gun, 25$ paint 150$ books 20$ youtube and forums, free. plus if you mess up a million times in the end you still wont come close to a 2500$ dual stage paint job they charge you for.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:23 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Not a proponent of this place in any way, but we had my sons zx2 painted by Maaco, their "cheap" $300 paint job (ended up being $350 with shop charges and all). They do all the sanding and body prep, but if you have body damage, paint chips, etc, it will cost more to fix that before painting (if you want it fixed). For this cost, you do not get a clearcoat, so after a few months, the paint will be dull looking.I would not recomomend it unless you are a fan of the "matte" finish because that's what it will end up looking like, even waxing it didn't make it shine. Adding clearcoat would have added @$250, but since this was his first car and a beater/learner car, I did not want to spend that much on it. When it comes to paint, you get what you pay for. You could spend $300 and get it just painted or spend probably a couple grand to get it "re-painted" another color. I'm in the same boat, I need mine repainted. Going to stick with the same color, but I want a clearcoat as well.
would it be worth it to have them do their $300 job then clearcoat it myself? how much would clear coating it myself cost?

How does repainting the same color make it cheaper? my clearcoat is all ruined and the red paint is only slightly faded in some spots. does a repaint just basically mean just a patch up job?
Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
If you're going to do it once, do it right.

I wouldn't settle for some cheapo paint job. Ask a few shops what it would cost for you to get it painted and cleared. Can you do all the sanding and body work as well as primer yourself?
Not really sure honestly, sounded like sanding all the paint off would be something I could do but I've never done this kind of thing before.
Originally Posted by imcdowel
get it done the same color in either single stage urethane or dual stage metallic. (you cant buff a metallic single stage) if the clear coat is peeling take a razor and chase it till it stops. sand the whole car in the really messed up spots and primer it with a rattle can and sand it smooth. scuff the ok spots and shoot it with your single stage. i have seen many taken care of nice single stages done right (not maaco) last ten years. my new one a friend did for me at 800 looks literally flawless. everyone i show it to thinks its a dual stage 4k paint job remember if you paint it a different color you gotta do the engine bay and door jams. not saying single is better than dual... its NOT! but if you make friends with a guy that has a booth you can get unbelievable results at an excellent price... if you have the money dont hesitate and get a dual stage in the oem color. or black
Originally Posted by imcdowel
as an option- with all the money you can spend on a paint job, you can get better results doing it yourself for dirt cheap. its not hard..... you can even do it outside if you pick the perfect day and are ok with extra sanding and buffing. gun, 25$ paint 150$ books 20$ youtube and forums, free. plus if you mess up a million times in the end you still wont come close to a 2500$ dual stage paint job they charge you for.
what is the meaning of single stage and dual stage? is single stage just a paint job without clear coat?

Quick Reply: What color should I repaint my 98?