What are cats when talking about exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 09:21 PM
2nd Gear member
Default What are cats when talking about exhaust.

Well I have a 1994 Chevy Camaro V6 3.4L Car. I am thinking of getting a 93-97 z28 muffler for this car because those are all made the same and I figured I would get one the same year as my car. Well anyway what I was thinking of getting was either trying to find a used z28 muffler or looking on the Internet for a new one. I was told that I will need the tail pipes also but will I need the original tail pipes made for the z28 exhaust or can I have a shop make a new set of them then Install that while getting hangers for this also or once again will I need the normal z28 ones. Well anyway that was my first question If you have any Information about putting a z28 muffler on a v6 camaro leave your feedback etc. My second question Is what are cats. I hear about this alot but not sure If this Is something I should be looking Into or what they do exactly. Basically the reason why I am replacing my muffler Is because the current one Is rusting also has a small crack on the muffler but the second reason why I am replacing Is because I want a muscle type sound for my car that Isnt raspy like a flowmaster etc I heard from multiple people on hear that the best thing for this would be get a z28 muffler for my v6. Thanks.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:32 PM
2nd Gear member

Well my first advice to you is to try and keep the amount of threads for the same question to a minimum. When speaking on exhaust systems, a cat is a catalytic converter. If you still have yours, it should be on the passenger side of the car behind the front tire after your y pipe. Some people remove the cat for a difference in sound, ect. If there's nothing wrong with it, I'd leave it be. If you bring the car to a shop they can weld the z28 muffler right up to your stock pipes. You may need tail pipes (that exit the muffler) but the muffler I found had both tailpipes still on it, which if you get it used, is usually the case.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:37 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Mikey.
Well my first advice to you is to try and keep the amount of threads for the same question to a minimum. When speaking on exhaust systems, a cat is a catalytic converter. If you still have yours, it should be on the passenger side of the car behind the front tire after your y pipe. Some people remove the cat for a difference in sound, ect. If there's nothing wrong with it, I'd leave it be. If you bring the car to a shop they can weld the z28 muffler right up to your stock pipes. You may need tail pipes (that exit the muffler) but the muffler I found had both tailpipes still on it, which if you get it used, is usually the case.
Well I was thinking that I would bring the muffler to them but them would type of tail pipes would I have them make because I think there are different sizes and I think for the z28 It will have two tail pipes but what would you reccomend as far as a size or Is there anything I need to tell the shop like a certain way to cut the pipes like angled or anything. Also did you do this on a v6 or what If you did that would be cool If you posted a video on youtube of like the Interior sound alot with exterior revving etc. But anything else that I would need to tell the shop because Im not sure where I can find one used around here and people were saying that I should be new anyway Incase the used one has rust on the Inside or Is starting to be crap etc any advice you have would work thanks.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:42 PM
2nd Gear member

Uh I looked In a camaro parts magazine I found that hangers for the 70-74 camaros are a hundred dollars they didnt have any for the 94 but still wtf why would a little piece of metal cost me a hundred dollars.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:28 PM
2nd Gear member

Wierd thing Is I cant find a new stock oem muffler online.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:29 PM
2nd Gear member

Different results come up like different mufflers that arnt stock.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:33 PM
2nd Gear member

The only place I could find one was rickscamaros and they want 199 new for one. Im not paying that. Anyone know where I could get one used In a good condition. For not that much.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

Junkyard or dismantler. Nobody really wants the oem ones. Why not just get a flowmasters or magnaflow? I got a used oem v6 you can have for free just pay shipping.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:23 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by RFxCamaro
Junkyard or dismantler. Nobody really wants the oem ones. Why not just get a flowmasters or magnaflow? I got a used oem v6 you can have for free just pay shipping.
I want a z28 because they are not as raspy or crap can sounding as a flowmaster why are you saying people dont want oem ones.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Tech Droid

Originally Posted by 94ChevyCamaroV6
I want a z28 because they are not as raspy or crap can sounding as a flowmaster why are you saying people dont want oem ones.
Before you drive yourself in a tizzy looking for Z28 mufflers, you have to realize a muffler for a V8 won't make a V6 sound like a V8. The basic sound is determined by the number of cylinders and firing order. A muffler can change the tone but won't mask what type engine is generating the noise.

You can purchase a new Walker stock type Z28 muffler from Rock Auto for about Z$28.
RockAuto Parts Catalog

Quick Reply: What are cats when talking about exhaust.