Well, I did it to myself again, SES light is on now

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 06:29 PM
4th Gear Member
Default Well, I did it to myself again, SES light is on now

95 Z was running great after all the parts I threw at it. Then, the radiator decides it wanted to leak. I put the new one in and while doing that, it was a good time for the throttle body bypass.

OK, button her up, fill the radiator and start it. It took about 5 seconds to fire up and the fans came on. I shut it and tried again, fans on yet again. I ran it until the thermostat opened and then was able to completely fill the system.

I let it sit for a couple hours, fire it back up, and it still took about 2 seconds longer than normal. The fans kick on, and stay on, and the SES light is on. The car runs great. I drove it for about 15 minutes and no hesitation, popping, stumbling, nada.

Any ideas on which sensor i disrupted this time? I'd like to have the fans turn on when needed and get rid of the SES light. The last time it was the coolant temp sensor on the waterpump that i got paint on it (i painted the new waterpump when i repalced it)

Opti replaced a month ago along with waterpump, wires, plugs and they are all connected.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:26 PM
4th Gear Member
Old 01-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Overdrive Member

bluovlh8er, its nice to have you back, but that really isnt necessary nor is it helpful.Ok your best bet is to get the computer scanned to see what code came up, these computers are pretty complicated and with so many codes you cant guess as to which one it is.You're not going to get a "perfect" start every time.With age and more start ups it will take a little longer, you should only get worried when or if it doesnt start.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:10 AM
4th Gear Member
Default Update

this way everyone can learn from my mistakes.

As i suspected, I messed up a connector again. it was once again the coolant temp sensor on the waterpump. Straighten out the pins in the connector and VOILA....car starts right up again within 1 second, no SES lights and fans don't immediately come on.

So, i've not connected the sensor (paint on connector) and once warm, the car runs rich and bogs down. I've messed up the connector and it starts hard and throws a SES light.

I am becoming an expert on that one sensor. Common sense said it had to be self induced again. Once I had time, i was able to discover the issue again.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Overdrive Member

a coolant temp sensor shouldnt have anything to do with your car not starting

Old 01-23-2009, 11:20 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

It could have plenty to do with the car not starting. The temp sensor went out in my Buick, and it refused to start with the bad sensor.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:22 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alih
a coolant temp sensor shouldnt have anything to do with your car not starting
au contraire pierre,

prior to my messing up myself again, the car would start within 1 second of cranking. After replacing the radiator, and then reconnecting everything again, i messed up that sensor connector and the car would take about 3 - 4 seconds to start and then would throw the SES light and the fans would come on.

Nowhere do i say that the car just would not start.

hey, we all get to learn from my dummy mistakes and learn more about that sensor and some of the symptons it can cause. Feel free to doubt me, or benefit from my experience. The choice is yours, but i would gain nothing from posting incorrect information here.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:37 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

so is everything okay with it now?

Old 01-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by bluovlh8er
Ovulator, it's good to see you, but as Alih brought up, please be helpful in your posting, this is simply uncalled for. It's rude and serves no real purpose. You know that post whoring isn't allowed here, be helpful or post ***** somewhere else.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:42 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whammer3024
so is everything okay with it now?
yes, until I go under the hood again and cause myself more grief. Look at it this way, T.I.G. will be a good example of what to avoid doing while working on an LT1.................

At least we'll all learn what errors these sensors can produce as i continue to forget to connect one, or mess up the connector.

Quick Reply: Well, I did it to myself again, SES light is on now