Weird problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Weird problems

Two days ago i was driving my car 99 camaro 3.8 5 speed and it acted like it ran out of gas. i think it probably did. (fuel gauge doesnt work and i wasnt paying attention to how far a drove) Anyway i put 1 gallon in the car tried stating and it just kept turning over. i think it may have coughed a few times. battery ended up dieing so i jumped it. still nothing. i put another gallon in it and it started then i put it in gear and it died out. it also a couple of times started and had a rough idle shook alot and wasnt responding well to reving it up. anyway i ened up towing it hame. i let it sit all today and tried starting it about 2 hours ago. started right up ran fine. so i drive up to the gas station to get gas and the pump kept clicking. then i notice that there is gas leaking on the ground and gas wasnt going down into the tank. it was just pooling at the top. it was dripping from right behind the fender from what i thought was the fuel tube(i dint look very hard) it took about a dollar worth of gas. my question is what the hell is going on. im pretty stumped on what it could be. i think it might have to do with fuel pressure??? maybe the fuel pressure regulator? any thoughts would be great this is my daily driver so i need to fix it.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:53 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like the tank may be full and filter is plugged or the pump is goin. the evap tank and vent hoses are behind the driver side rear wheel. has a plastic cover. if you did a major overfill of the tank it would fill the evap tank and soak the coal in it. most times that ruins the tank and a new one is needed. best to find a small hose and see if your tank is way full.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:39 AM
1st Gear Member

there is no way the tank is full unless someone came by my house and filled it for me. lol. i dont put that much gas in it at a time.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:40 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

must be something plugging the fill hose then,,, maybe a kink in it,,, cant think of anything else.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:00 AM
1st Gear Member

would that cause it to not want to start or stay running.well actually i put gas in it the day before think i ran out and it took it. but after it sat it didnt.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

A proper working vent in the fill tube is what prevents the pump nozzle from clicking off. A clogged/non working vent can make the nozzle act as if the tank is full.
Check into that to make sure your venting isn't plugged.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:08 AM
1st Gear Member

how do i check it?

Old 06-02-2013, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member

i toke my fuel tube/filler nozzel apart today. i noticed that it seems to be pressurized. when i open the flap in the lower part of the fuel tube gas shoots out. i havnt got any further then there. im still unsure what is causing it.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:44 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

how about a picture of what your talking about.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Member

it would be hard to take a picture. there is a flap in the lower part of the fill tube that goes in to the gas tank. much like the one at the top where you pump gas into and the nozzel of the gas hose pushes it open. the lower one at the end of the fill tube almost to the tank when i open it with a rod will shoot gas out of it and make like a hissing noise.

Quick Reply: Weird problems