Water leak help for v-6

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Default Water leak help for v-6

My mom has a 98 with a v6. She was driving down the road when all of a sudden she heard a loud noise and noticed her temp going up. When she opened the hood there was water everywhere. I cannot tell where it is coming from. It looks like it it coming from under the intake and above the water pump in that area. Is there something right there that would be an easy fix or should i be looking for a chunk missing from one or the other? I just cant get my head in there to see.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Tech Droid

First thing would be to check the hoses, as they are the weakest link in the cooling system.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:36 PM

Please im not retarded! The leak is right in the area in the center of the engine under the intake and near the top of the water pump. The water comes out once the level in the radiator reaches the upper radiator hose. The car does not even have to be running. Is thee something under the front of the intake that could leak. It is a gushing leak also not just a tinkle.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:40 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would say the plastic elbow may have busted.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

No one is calling you retarded mate. We don't know what you've checked yet, so its easiest to start at the beginning. Do you have any way to apply pressure to the cooling system? Not much, just 8 psi or so? A bike tire pump will work. You'll need something you can stick down into the radiator to seal it off, down past the overflow hose. You'll need air to get through this. You may need to get a little inventive, if nothing else grab some pipe and duct tape. Seal the pump to the top of the radiator and SLOWLY apply pressure. Best if you have a mate to do this while you look for the leak, or vise versa

Last edited by inanitydefined; 07-12-2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-12-2011, 08:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Sounds like its the upper radiator hose, that leads to the thermostat located just below the intake. Check the thermostat area. That's the only 'wet' thing up top there.. water pump is just below.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Tech Droid

Originally Posted by tacomatom
Please im not retarded! The leak is right in the area in the center of the engine under the intake and near the top of the water pump. The water comes out once the level in the radiator reaches the upper radiator hose. The car does not even have to be running. Is thee something under the front of the intake that could leak. It is a gushing leak also not just a tinkle.
If you are such a bright star shining in the universe, why are you asking for help in solving a simple problem such as finding the source of a water leak?

Old 07-12-2011, 09:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

PLEASE why dont we sticky the plastic elbow piece fix? I will personally write a a tutorial if we get a stickie on it. I bet my left nut his leak is from the elbow piece.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Its a common issue, it is most likely the elbow between the intake and the belt tensioner as Craby said. This is a zoom pic with the water pump removed

Name:  IMG00010.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  44.9 KB

Old 07-14-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by z28pete
If you are such a bright star shining in the universe, why are you asking for help in solving a simple problem such as finding the source of a water leak?
Im sorry but sometimes i get anoyed when people post on a topic where they didnt even read the question fully. I was pretty specific on where the water was coming from, and it wasnt near the hoses.

PLEASE why dont we sticky the plastic elbow piece fix? I will personally write a a tutorial if we get a stickie on it. I bet my left nut his leak is from the elbow piece.
Yes im sure it would be helpful.
In the mean time can anybody suggest what all do i have to remove to gain enough room to replace that little gem?

Quick Reply: Water leak help for v-6