Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   Water in engine (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/water-engine-56709/)

JJs94Camaro 11-07-2010 10:13 AM

Water in engine

ok got a good one here, was checking my fuel pressure 2 days ago with a buddy of mine. Hooked gauge up to schrader valve gfor the test everything was good disconnected the gauge. Then went to start the car gas comes flowing out of the shrader valve engine catchs fire i put it out with hose about 2 mins time. Get the valve repaired and see no burnt plastice or hoses anywhere. Now start up car and idles rough with smoke from exhaust manifild and black smoke from exhaust. Any ideas?

craby 11-07-2010 10:21 AM

2 minutes is a long time to be on fire. you say no burnt wires so im thinking less that a minute. you would get steam from intake and exhaust manifolds till the water burns off. black smoke would point to a rich condition. it would be a good idea to unhook all conections and dry, compressed air or hair dryer. then run the car for a time and see if it clears up

Gorn 11-07-2010 10:31 AM

I would think the you fuel regulator might has failed due to the fire. You should re check your fuel pressure. Also check for codes in the computer system. If you are getting black smoke for any reason you should set a engine to rich code.

Edit: after you do what Craby said.

Grandpaswagon 11-07-2010 02:35 PM

After you do the above, you may want to look towards the opti if it is an LT1 powered ride.

Soaking the engine to put out a fire, even with a garden hose, is more than enough to do some damage to that.

JJs94Camaro 11-07-2010 04:16 PM

Ok i have been messing with this thing all day so i checked all wires connection nothing wet or burnt then all vaccume lines nothing burnt, there is exhaust coming from either the exhaust manifold or maybe the EGR valve on passenger side. Could me spraying it with water got into the spark plugwells then into the heads and chambers. Could I have cracked a head with it being on fire and the water hitting it that would cause white smoke right. Oh and really wierd I had a 1/4 of gas when this started now down to E not that much fuel got out i know

JJs94Camaro 11-07-2010 04:17 PM

oh probably a dum rookie question but what is a OPTI i can't find any refence to that.

osduck5 11-07-2010 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by JJs94Camaro (Post 472943)
oh probably a dum rookie question but what is a OPTI i can't find any refence to that.

on the 5.7L it is mounted behind the water pump on the front of the engine and serves as the distributor.

BasicConcepts 11-07-2010 06:04 PM

its the worst thing gm ever came up (so ive heard i have coilpacks)

Grandpaswagon 11-07-2010 06:11 PM

Do you have the 5.7 or the 3.4?

JJs94Camaro 11-08-2010 09:57 AM

I have a 3.4 V6