Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   volt gauge still in the red (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/volt-gauge-still-red-56303/)

BasicConcepts 10-23-2010 06:37 PM

volt gauge still in the red

so about 3 weeks ago i got a new battery and today i got a new alternator and my volt gauge is still in the red what else could be my problem

craby 10-23-2010 06:52 PM

make sure your getting juice to the small wire on the alternator when the key is on. should not have power to it when key is off. also take the battery cables off and wire brush the heck outa the ends. do the same for the wires in the power junction box, small red plastic box on the passenger side fenderwell. while your doing this look for any damage or corrosion to the wires.

z28pete 10-23-2010 08:23 PM

May want to verify that the voltmeter is reading correctly. Use a DVM connected across the battery posts and with the engine running, it should indicate 13 to 14 Volt.

BasicConcepts 10-24-2010 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by craby (Post 467704)
make sure your getting juice to the small wire on the alternator when the key is on. should not have power to it when key is off. also take the battery cables off and wire brush the heck outa the ends. do the same for the wires in the power junction box, small red plastic box on the passenger side fenderwell. while your doing this look for any damage or corrosion to the wires.

well i cleaned all the connections to the battery and the junction box a also dont have a small wire to the alt (i assume your talking about the single wire that most alts have)

Originally Posted by z28pete (Post 467726)
May want to verify that the voltmeter is reading correctly. Use a DVM connected across the battery posts and with the engine running, it should indicate 13 to 14 Volt.

i dont own a dvm but my boss does so ill have to get that checked out tomorrow

also i noticed i have what i assume to be a rocker making some noise so again the engine has to come down and the valve covers gotta come off... fun fun

craby 10-24-2010 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the alternator needed to be excited to begin charging. if you have a small jumper wire start the car then hook power to the small connector on the alternator. it should start charging. if so then you need to start looking for that wire or one thats been cut off.
Attachment 31377

BasicConcepts 10-24-2010 07:45 PM

thanx for the pic craby today i was driving (gauge was still in the red) and poof it jumped up to regular it was like magic also the noise that i thought was a rocker turned out to be a spark plug with too much gap

Camaro 69 10-24-2010 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts (Post 467944)
the noise that i thought was a rocker turned out to be a spark plug with too much gap

I don't get that one. Was it a gap between the plug and wire end, causing an arc?

BasicConcepts 10-24-2010 11:00 PM

i dont know for sure its a 2 prong plug and 1 was way out there so i bent it back in but it also could have been the wire not being plugged in all the way while the car was running i could feel the noise on the boot tho i took my stethoscope and put it on the valve cover and didnt hear the noise very loud but for some reason i decided to put it on the plug boots and it got VERY loud almost ear piercing (cylinder 2)