Velocity stack in LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 12:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Velocity stack in LS1?

Camaro Vararam Velocity Stack, 1998-2002 - Rick's Camaro Parts
6-13 claimed HP is obviously BS.... but has anyone installed one of these and noticed any kind of difference?

Is it worth 45$?

Old 08-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Overdrive Member

They increase the velosity using the venturi effect. This actually lowers the air pressure which fools the MAF into thinking you are getting more air when actually you are getting normal air flow, so it richens up the mixture to seem like more HP when you are not getting any real gains. Your O2 sensors will level out the mixture when you are cruising so you will not have any gains but you may get a CEL with too rich or MAF errors. You may actually see a little bit of a difference actually on WOT acceleration but that is about the only time you are gonna really notice anything, and that will not be true power but power from the engine's sensors being out of tune. This is kinda what piggy back chips do to your engine as well.

Massey

Old 08-13-2011, 12:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Massey
They increase the velosity using the venturi effect. This actually lowers the air pressure which fools the MAF into thinking you are getting more air when actually you are getting normal air flow, so it richens up the mixture to seem like more HP when you are not getting any real gains. Your O2 sensors will level out the mixture when you are cruising so you will not have any gains but you may get a CEL with too rich or MAF errors. You may actually see a little bit of a difference actually on WOT acceleration but that is about the only time you are gonna really notice anything, and that will not be true power but power from the engine's sensors being out of tune. This is kinda what piggy back chips do to your engine as well.

Massey
This isn't going to make me run rich or mess up my stock MAF, will it?

Old 08-13-2011, 01:58 PM
2nd Gear member

Complete waste of money. Save for something that will really improve performance.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Rub a rabbits foot on the throttle body instead. I hear that works wonders, not so good for the rabbit though!

Old 08-13-2011, 03:25 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

im surprised ricks is carrying it. cant find a dyno for it anywhere. you can get it for 35 bucks at a couple other places

Old 08-13-2011, 03:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Would you guys say the same about this?
SLP 21033 SLP Cold Air Induction Package, 1998-02 Camaro V8 / V6 - 21033, SLP Cold-Air Kit
I already have the SLP and a k&n so...

OR should I just forget the SLP CAI, velocity stack and save up for a t3/t4 rear-mount turbo @ 10PSI

Could get like 150HP outta that... would need .96 a/r exhaust housing, larger fuel pump, larger injectors, 44mm wastegate, blow off valve, aftermarket oil lines and coolant lines plus a good tune

Old 08-14-2011, 09:26 AM
2nd Gear member

Since you already have a CAI, there is not a lot more you can do on the cheap to get more power. The turbo would definitely get you some more oomph, but as you know through your research, getting all the benefits can cost a few bucks. You will probably need some head work to really get the most out of it.

Before you go through all that effort, try a custom tune, headers, free flowing exhaust, and see if you need larger injectors. You will be surprised how much you can gain just by allowing the car to breathe better, both in and out.

FYI - all of those "power adders" that purport performance gains with only adding a cone, magnets, or some other thing between the air filter and throttle body are just junk. The only way they add to the car's performance is by lightening the weight of your wallet.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:52 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Grandpaswagon
Since you already have a CAI, there is not a lot more you can do on the cheap to get more power. The turbo would definitely get you some more oomph, but as you know through your research, getting all the benefits can cost a few bucks. You will probably need some head work to really get the most out of it.

Before you go through all that effort, try a custom tune, headers, free flowing exhaust, and see if you need larger injectors. You will be surprised how much you can gain just by allowing the car to breathe better, both in and out.

FYI - all of those "power adders" that purport performance gains with only adding a cone, magnets, or some other thing between the air filter and throttle body are just junk. The only way they add to the car's performance is by lightening the weight of your wallet.
I don't have the CAI.. I have the SLP lid (which I am very pleased with) and a k&n... would the CAI do anything performance wise?

Old 08-14-2011, 10:53 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by greycon88
I don't have the CAI.. I have the SLP lid (which I am very pleased with) and a k&n... would the CAI do anything performance wise?
Yes, at higher speeds mostly.

Quick Reply: Velocity stack in LS1?