V-6 performance help

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Default V-6 performance help

i have a v-6 camaro, i would like to mess around with it and try and get some extra HP out of it, have any ideas on what i can do without spending big money? i know that i can eliminate the condensior on the engine to free up the engine, and i can get aftermarket exhaust manifolds but thats the only thing that comes to mind that i can do, any other advice would be awsome.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:22 PM
2nd Gear member

This is a good place to start:
https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...rt-here-38465/

Honestly you're not going to get much "performance" out of a v6, but depending on which you have (3.4, or 3.8) there's a couple things out there.
Cold air intake, headers, higher gears for the rear end, ect. The 3.8 responds well to these, but the 3.4 unfortunately doesn't have much going for it.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:43 PM

Its funny a lot of people say they can't get much out of a V6 which I think is a load of crap. If you want to spend the time and money you can make a V 6 mean but thats what it takes is time and a lot of money. Don't let anyone shoot you down cuz thats all they try to do trust me. I have so many ideas for my v6 but most of the guys say you might as well buy a v8. Sure I'll buy a v8 if their gonna co sign for me and pay my insurance. I dont think they remember being young cuz insurance rates are high for me since I'm 20. You can start small and buy a cold air intake, maybe a exhaust system and new heads. You wanna get your air flow right then you can start adding more like a turbo or supercharger. Just don't get on ebay and buy one cuz they won't lat or give you much performance. I've seen so v6 camaros that will beat many v8's out there.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:00 PM
3rd Gear Member

If you have the money to buy a FI setup and all the supporting mods for a v6, you can afford a v8 car.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:05 PM
2nd Gear member

I'm 20. I started out with a 3.4l 93 Camaro, so I speak from experience. I dumped every pay check into my old maro, and at the end of it all, it was no where near what my Trans Am is stock. It's not about shooting people down, it's about having realistic expectations.

And you can't just add a supercharger or a turbo on a car with stock internals, not if you want the motor to last.

For your last point, "Ive seen so v6 camaros that will beat many v8's out there." I think it's sort of irrelevant. The amount of money it takes for a v6 Camaro to keep up with a stock v8 car, would pay for the v8 car. Overall the Lt1 or Ls1 is a much better platform to work on if your goal is performance. As for a gas sipping daily driver, obviously the v6 is much better.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:33 PM

i agree with all of you, i was at first planning to convert my 3800 v6 camaro to a 350 but i come to the problam with everything i have to change (wireing harness, motor mounts, etc.) so i went back to an old idea of just putting a few dollars into the 3800 just to put a little more muscle into it and then seeling the whole car for a v8 camaro but i just cant part with my camaro its my first car and i know that the body is in awsome condition no rust underneath so im not sure what direction to head. i can get a 350 for cheap and just get it converted to fuel injected cause its better on the mileage.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:37 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by H3llboy676
i agree with all of you, i was at first planning to convert my 3800 v6 camaro to a 350 but i come to the problam with everything i have to change (wireing harness, motor mounts, etc.) so i went back to an old idea of just putting a few dollars into the 3800 just to put a little more muscle into it and then seeling the whole car for a v8 camaro but i just cant part with my camaro its my first car and i know that the body is in awsome condition no rust underneath so im not sure what direction to head. i can get a 350 for cheap and just get it converted to fuel injected cause its better on the mileage.
These cars are built around the motor, it's pretty difficult to swap from v6 to v8 ect. Socom has a thread in the projects section where he's swapping his v6 for a v8. If you're really interested in doing it, I'd watch his progress.

As far as your car, the good thing is you have the 3.8. It's definitely better than the 3.4. A cai and some headers should give you a noticeable difference.

When I had my v6, I swapped my 2 piece drive shaft for a one piece aluminum from a ws6. Some people say it's not a noticeable difference, but it was to me.
Here's a picture of the two:

Last edited by Mikey.; 03-15-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:59 PM
4th Gear Member

If you're happy with the V6, stick with it. You're never gonna have as much power as the V8's without a lot of money put in it, but that's not what's important. As long as you can beat the Mustangs and those silly ***** fart can lovers, you're in the right place, and this is coming from a V8 guy.

Also, being 18 with numerous speeding tickets, careless driving (street racing), a noise violation, a warning for illegal exhaust (no cats), and a one car collision into an embankment (not related to the racing), I do not want to hear that insurance is to damn expensive. That is all.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:41 AM
1st Gear Member

if you want to stick to a budget for a v6: get CAI first (although don't expect any significant gain hp wise) then go with a full exhaust headers on back to the catback leave the cats tho. There is another member on here, Chaotic94, he has a v6 build thread and I would consider him one of the premier v6 guys on the forum.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Overdrive Member

Read this entire series for ideas:
- Tom Henry RS V6 Camaro Project

Quick Reply: V-6 performance help