Turn key but no fire

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Default Turn key but no fire

I have a 98 Z28 that has a starting issue. For the past few weeks the car won't crank over. It acts like when the security light is on. Everything works but wont crank. The security light is not on and I know the security light works because it lights up when you first start the car like normal. Sometimes it may start within 3 minutes of first trying or could take as long as 7-10 minutes. Any ideas??

Old 05-11-2010, 08:11 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

is or has the security light been blinking, could be vats so try cleaning the key or if u have got an extra key try it. the keys have a pod on them that has a certain ohm resistance and if it get real worn or dirty it will fail. clean your battery terminals and the cable ends. wire brush the heck outa them. check the ignition fuse in the fuse box.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:26 PM
4th Gear Member

I don't know if they are similar but on my 95Z, I turned the key and got nothing including no fuel pump. An ignition switch later and I was good to go. If that is the problem, taking the steering column out isn't really that bad.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:46 AM

No Craby the security light has not been blinking. Only have oone key so I'll have to get another made and try that .

Old 05-12-2010, 05:46 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

take the starter out and have it tested, if u cleaned the battery terminals and cables then make sure your grounds and ground wire are in good shape and not corroded or damaged. should be a ground terminal on the block by the starter, one on the block behind the sepintine belt tensioner and one on the front driver side of the block.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:04 PM

Noticed today that the red security light on the dash does not blink when doors are closed. When door is opened it starts blinking. Does the system need to be reset?

Old 05-14-2010, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member

check to see if it has or ever did have an after market , anti-start or remote start.
alot of times the way they are installed or left behind is surprising that it ever worked.
but it does seem like a pass key system issue.
but did you check at your starter for signal to start when it's not starting?
do you hear click click ? just have ask, it's easy to find the answer ... after asking the right questions

Old 05-14-2010, 09:07 PM

Doesn't appear to of had one. I hear no clicking when trying to start.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:16 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you can check to see if you are getting power to the starter solonoid s terminal when the key is held in the start position. whats the voltage? the small wire on the solonoid is the s termaina. start wire.

Last edited by craby; 05-14-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:06 AM
Overdrive Member

next time it does this take a small hammer and tap the starter a couple of times. Then try again. If it starts right away after that then you are in need of a new starter. This is really common issue with small block starters. I recomend getting the lifetime warranty starter. The 1-3 year starter is just tested for open windings, the comm is cleaned and new solonoid, brushes and bushings are installed. Basicly someone elses cleaned up POS. Most auto parts stores like Advance and O'reilly's have lifetime starters that have the field coils replaced, the armetures are rewound and a new comm is installed. new bushings and quality gear, and soloniod are also used. Plus they are usually only $10 more than the cheap one. OK good luck, if this dont work then check the passkey system make sure that the resistor has not broken inside the key.

Massey

P.S. I just got a new key made and they run $24.95 cut. You need to bring your registration in your name or the registered owner with you or they will not make you a key.

Quick Reply: Turn key but no fire