Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   transmission fluid? help (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/transmission-fluid-help-52318/)

SYDEWAYZSS 06-06-2010 10:39 PM

transmission fluid? help

I have 2000 ss 6 speed, and i recently changed the tranny fluid, and this is my first time doing it since i bought the car...so i went to auto zone to ask for dexron III and they gave me the Coastal multi purpose DexMerc automatic transmission fluid... said it was the same as dexron III, that they just changed the tag on it. So thats what I put in and now im hearing really bad noises from my trany i think its grinding. Is this the wrong fluid? and could this be f*ckin up my trany?

craby 06-07-2010 12:20 AM

dexmerc is for a ford no wonder your having an alergic reaction. get that stuff outa there and replace with dex 3 or maybe mobil1.

Camaro 69 06-07-2010 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by craby (Post 429549)
dexmerc is for a ford no wonder your having an alergic reaction. get that stuff outa there and replace with dex 3 or maybe mobil1.

Craby, I hate to kick you in the nuts....ahhhh who am I kidding, no I don't! :icon_teeth:
But, the Dex Merc is a multipurpose fluid that can be used in GM vehicles. You may be cornfusing it with type F, as in Friggin Ford!
ATF Application Guide
It is possible that the previous owner was having the same grinding problem, and put in something thicker. Was the old stuff that came out red tranny fluid, or was it conventional oil?
On a side note, you know those super-duper "trick shift" transmission fluids that make your trans grab and shift better? What a coinkidinky that their properties are very similar to type F.

craby 06-07-2010 12:42 AM

crabs again. lol. i thought that stuff was for fords. dang foiled again.

z28pete 06-07-2010 10:34 AM

You can use type F in a GM automatic and it will give some nice harsh shifts, and save the expense of a shift kit. However, there is no telling how long the tranny will last. lol

craby 06-07-2010 10:42 AM

this is a m6 so would some of that 70w80 stuff work? is that redline that has the f properties?

BasicConcepts 06-07-2010 01:18 PM

ATF in a 6 speed... why i used 80-90 gear oil noticed my trans is quieter and cooler than b4

Camaro 69 06-07-2010 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts (Post 429644)
ATF in a 6 speed... why i used 80-90 gear oil noticed my trans is quieter and cooler than b4

I know, seems strange don't it? ATF is used for it's longevity and anti-foaming properties. But it can be kinda thin for a worn trans.
Back in the "olden days", when transmissions used gear oil (or motor oil), I've used a thicker viscosity to get rid of noises and gear crunching, or to stop the gears from free-wheeling and grinding while shifting from neutral.

SYDEWAYZSS 06-07-2010 07:08 PM

I've owned the camaro for about two or more years now and always ran pefect no problems...but thanks alot i apreciate it I'll have that **** changed out asap.. what do u guys recomond?