trans help

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 06:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default trans help

i have a 97 rs and my trans fluid is burnt. if i drive 50-55 or more my trans slips, when i turn off the car for a few minutes and start it again it doesnt slip anymore. when that happens i will usually get code 1870 trans comp slipping. awhile ago my heater hose was leaking and i was driving with water and coolant leaking out, not knowing it was leaking.then all of asudden the car was smoking and the temp gauge went all the way up and the car shut off. i hear all kinds of things about changing trans fluid that its good and its bad. add some bottle of lucas trans fluid with the regular trans fluid. can anyone help me on what i should do? thank you for your responses.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:13 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: trans help

I changed my tranny fluid at a 100 thou, and haven't had any problems. Everyone will tell you different on wether to change it or not.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Tech Droid

At this point you don't have much of a choice. Change the fluid, and if that does not help, rebuid the transmission.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

im with pete. but you should change and flush you trans about every 50,000 just as a precaution

Old 08-04-2008, 04:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

should i add a bottle of that lucas trans slip stuff? thank you

Old 08-04-2008, 06:50 PM
3rd Gear Member

Nah just replace with trans fluid and go from there.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:50 PM
2nd Gear member

I'm one of the guys who will urge one of two service methods:

Follow it closely, or...

DON'T DO IT AT ALL.

The reason being, an automatic transmission contains fluid that has high levels of detergent, meaning it cleans out junk and gunk. The problem is, a transmission that has a good number of miles on it nearly relies on the gunk and junk as makeshift seals and material to bind to the friction plates. When the fluid is changed only when problems begin to thwart their ugly head, there is usually no point of return. I do, however, have faith on Lucas products. I'm an avid user of both their oil stabilizer and fuel additive, so I'd at least try a small bottle of Automatic Transmission Stop-Slip, for giggles. Unfortunately, when a transmission starts to slip, it's only a matter of time before you are needing a rebuild or another transmission. I had mine rebuilt and it lasted about another year. Then, I lucked up and found a transmission from a wrecked Camaro that had less miles than my car. I sold my Camaro, but I know that it still shifts fine to this day.

Hope I helped. And yes, I'd start looking into rebuild prices just to get yourself one step ahead of the game.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member

i agree with the statment but if the stop slip doesn't work cange teh fluid then see from there

Old 08-05-2008, 09:44 PM
2nd Gear member

Changing the fluid will not fix a severe slip. Simple as. Sorry.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: usarmyrangrs
I do, however, have faith on Lucas products. I'm an avid user of both their oil stabilizer and fuel additive,
Check this all out, you may change your mind about it.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
And check out the whole website, lots of useful info.

Quick Reply: trans help