Thermostat 98' help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Default Thermostat 98' help!!

I have a 98' V6. I'll start it up in the morning and drive 10 min to work and the temp gauge is almost in the middle. iv drained the coolant, and flushed it and that seemed to help for about a week. when i sit at a red light the gauge rises and when i start to drive it lowers. so im thinking new thermostat and i know i need the 195 degree but do i need the hole system and where do i get the right one at?

Old 02-04-2013, 09:25 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

The middle of the gauge is where you want to be.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:36 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

parts store should know what thermostat is needed. you will need a gasket. check out rockauto and see what they recomend

Last edited by craby; 02-05-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:55 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I think the complaint is that it takes 10 minutes for the gauge to get to the half way mark. If you're in a cold climate like it is up here in Illnoise, and you're pretty much "jumping in and driving", then that's normal. So is the temp climbing while sitting in traffic and going back down when you start moving.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:55 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by landser88
I have a 98' V6. I'll start it up in the morning and drive 10 min to work and the temp gauge is almost in the middle. iv drained the coolant, and flushed it and that seemed to help for about a week. when i sit at a red light the gauge rises and when i start to drive it lowers. so im thinking new thermostat and i know i need the 195 degree but do i need the hole system and where do i get the right one at?
Gauge should be in the middle. It will raise or lower while driving depending on the fans cutting on and off and ambient temperature. Sounds to me like it is operating normally, as long as it does not get into the red. Go inside any parts store and ask for what you need for the car you drive, thats how you get the right parts.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:15 AM
2nd Gear member

Ok, best bet is go to rockauto.com and find a new thermostat and new radiator cap. I had ur issue and all was fixed after that

Old 02-19-2013, 02:21 PM

bought new 195 thermostat and radiator cap and im still having the problem. if i keep the car at 60 mph or above the temp will drop but any slower and the gauge rises

Old 02-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Do you have the air dam under the front bumper? I broke mine and the car overheated a little because air doesn't get to the radiator very well.

It looks kinda like this

Old 02-19-2013, 03:36 PM
1st Gear Member

My gauge sits in the middle too, it will rise above when stopped. This is normal. The fans will come on to cool it back down to the middle.
Check to make sure your cooling fans are operating correctly, if not you might need a new coolant temperature sensor.
If your thermostat was stuck closed it would overheat pretty quick and the temp would not drop or stay in the middle. If it were stuck open it would take forever to heat up. If it were your radiator cap not realeasing pressure, you would see a leak from the overflow. If it was realeasing pressure too quick, again there would be a leak at the radiator cap.

It sounds like your car is fine, if the temperature does go near the red zone, it's probably your radiator fans not engaging. In that case I would get a new CTS.

I had the rad cap issue, the thermostat issue and the CTS issue all in seperate instances. It should be easy enough to troubleshoot if there is any issue.

Last edited by djsquare1; 02-19-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I am going to change my thermostat tomorrow. I think it is stuck open. It warms up when idling but gets below 160 while driving.

Quick Reply: Thermostat 98' help!!