t-tops twist?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:55 AM
1st Gear Member
Default t-tops twist?

Ive got t tops on my camaro and at first i though it was really cool, but now im starting to see people say that you cant have that much power otherwise they will twist. Is that true? and ive just got basic bolt ons, should i have any thing to worry about?

Old 01-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: t-tops twist?

Yes, the car will twist more if it has t-tops instead of a hard-top, but this is also true for convertibles as well. I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's not going to become a problem until you're making some serious power and running slicks on a drag strip, on a road course you'll see more body twist, but again, not something that you'll have to worry too much about.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

T-top models have extra reinforcements in the frame/body that the coupe doesn't have. Twisting becomes a big issue when you start building more serious h.p. Then you can start wrinkling sail-panels, cracking windshields, and throwing the frame out of whack! If you ever get to that point, subframe connectors will help alleviate the twisting. Until then, don't worry about it. However, if you can feel the car twist now under hard acceleration, or it dances and creaks over railroad tracks and bumps, then subframe connectors will help to stiffen it up.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:44 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

T-top models have extra reinforcements in the frame/body that the coupe doesn't have. Twisting becomes a big issue when you start building more serious h.p. Then you can start wrinkling sail-panels, cracking windshields, and throwing the frame out of whack! If you ever get to that point, subframe connectors will help alleviate the twisting. Until then, don't worry about it. However, if you can feel the car twist now under hard acceleration, or it dances and creaks over railroad tracks and bumps, then subframe connectors will help to stiffen it up.
+1

Old 01-29-2008, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

alright thanks... i was kinda worried for a while because i read some stuff that scared me, but i dont plan on rreallly doing anything to my car, unless i win the lottery

Old 01-29-2008, 05:54 PM
4th Gear Member

they would twist in a situation where your car has enough power to lift the wheels.. a couple bolt ons arent going to snap your car in half.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

Thats right, bolt on's won't cause your t-top Camaro to twist. If you ever get to the point where that can happen, sub frame connectors and a torque arm should help you out.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:16 AM
April 2008 ROTM

Hard top Camaro's are pretty much T Top Camaros with a hard top shell over the main crossmember that would be there for the T top cars (to save money.)

It is pretty much a rumor that the structural integrity of a hard top car is greater. It isn't. It's just that when the car does bend a bit over time you can notice it with a T Top car since they will start to rattle and maybe leak (in bad scenarios.)

Old 01-30-2008, 01:49 AM
4th Gear Member

Yeah. If you look at the "ceiling" persay. you can see where the T-tops would be.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:43 PM
April 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

Yeah. If you look at the "ceiling" persay. you can see where the T-tops would be.
You got it. There was a guy on LS1tech who had the roof all cut open (I forget what he was doing) and there was the T Top crossmember. So T Tops are not weaker, but the rumor will always continue...

Quick Reply: t-tops twist?