T-Top Weatherstrip replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Two Cylinders Short of Win
Default T-Top Weatherstrip replacement

Ok so it rained last night and my driver's seat was soaked again. Don't think I can take any more of that so I'm gonna go ahead and order this:

http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-d...1993-2002.html

Does anyone have an idea of how much a good price for labor would be? Or at least about how long it should it take?

Old 08-09-2010, 05:35 PM
2nd Gear member

If you take it in to a shop, you are probably looking at about an hour per side for labor.

Get yourself some weatherstrip adhesive and just do the install yourself. Save the money for more repairs or mods.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:01 PM

I've never done this before and don't want my poor install to be the reason why they still leak. Is it pretty fool-proof? (I'm not a fool or anything) lol.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:21 PM
2nd Gear member

Do one side at a time so that you can compare what you are doing with how the factory did it. I did all the weatherstipping and door felts in my '64 Nova (including front and rear glass) over a weekend. It was a lot more work than what you are looking at. Just take your time and it should come out alright.

On a side note, my T-Tops leak also, and to be truthful, I don't know anyone with a 4th gen that the T-Tops seal real well. Hopefully you will get them to seal and keep the interior dry.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:34 PM

Well that really sucks...I need to find a way to get them to stop leaking for 2 reasons. The main one being that Ill probably drive this thing all winter. This will be the only winter the car sees as it hasn't seen any yet. If it can't hold up in the rain, how the hell is it gonna do during a Chicago winter? So you mean to tell me if I go pay a shop to do it they'll still leak? Shouldn't I have some type of guarantee? lol.
The 2nd reason being that I'm planning on swapping out the interior to leather seats or getting them reupholstered. There's no point in doing that if theyre going to be drenched. About 3 weeks with this car so far and wow am I disappointed with most responses I get regarding anything and this car. I'm trying to get excited about this car and keep getting denied.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

My T Tops leak horribly as well. I've tried sealing them with silicon but it didn't really work. I've thought about getting new weather stripping, too. Haven't gotten around to it yet. Keeping the car running was more important than keeping the inside perfectly dry. I redid my whole interior as well despite this issue. I just try to park under a tree if possible to try to avoid her getting directly rained on. My seats are synthetic leather, so they just wipe dry with no damage. And don't worry. There's always going to be some things to work out with the car. Try to enjoy it as much as possible in between those times.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the tips. Do you drive your car in the winter by chance? Cuz I can't hide under a tree then :*(. I got a whole stack of paperwork from work the previous owner did. I guess they had problems with their window motor and had it replaced. My driver's side window clicks once when its rolled all the way up. I don't mind the clicking sound but I DO mind the damn wet seats haha. I guess keeping it in the garage as much as possible and keeping some towels handy can get me by this winter. Maybe its only when I'm parked. Haven't driven in the rain yet.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Overdrive Member

If you really want it done right and guaranteed, buy the weatherstripping yourself, and take it to a Chevrolet Service Shop that also has a Body Repair group (since you're nearby, Stasek Chevrolet in Wheeling is the closest I know of, and I have had a good experience with them). Might cost you, but you would have peace of mind. Everything is a trade-off...

That window clicking is NOT normal, BTW -- could be related to the leak -- does the window go all the way up based on the weatherstripping all the way around?

Old 08-09-2010, 09:32 PM

Thanks Liberty I might actually check them out. Wheeling isn't too bad. I don't mind paying full price as long as its reasonable. I'm not gonna drop $1k into doing this like I thought I read some1 else saying. I wonder if they'll even do it if I brought them that Weatherstripping I linked to or if I would have to buy the actual "GM" weatherstripping for double the price.

I know the clicking is not normal. It doesn't sound normal, plus the passenger's side doesn't do it. I just went and checked and it seems like the window goes up high enough, but I've read on here about some people removing 2 screws on the trim panel and adjusting it to fit tighter...hmmm might have to try that.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Overdrive Member

^ Phone them first, ask all your questions...

Quick Reply: T-Top Weatherstrip replacement