swapping to 350

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:45 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Lightbulb swapping to 350

ok so i actually already hav a thread about this but the other is really retarted and talking about a ford and i thought i needed a new thread. but got my engine just about done just got hone out the cylinders and get new piston rings. probably wont work on it again till friday or saturday. but here are some pictures of the new rims i got. and engine and tranny cuz i don't think ive posted any yet. the rims are 16in diameter and 11 in wide for the back and 16 by 8 in the front.

Attached Thumbnails swapping to 350-2010-04-30-18.21.04.jpg   swapping to 350-2010-04-30-18.21.17.jpg   swapping to 350-2010-04-30-18.21.09.jpg   swapping to 350-2010-05-04-19.24.10.jpg  
Old 05-06-2010, 06:55 PM
4th Gear Member

is that a mechanical fuel pump???????????

Old 05-06-2010, 06:57 PM
4th Gear Member

is that a mechanical fan and doesn't even have a clutch?

Old 05-06-2010, 07:01 PM
4th Gear Member

lil background on the engine please? What heads are going on it? What cam?

I gather it uses a distributor, what are your plans for making it fit into a 4th gen? Are you modifying the firewall and cabin area?

Old 05-07-2010, 08:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ok so right now its staying with the stock cam and heads until i save up enough money. and yes its a mechanical gas pump and and mechanical fan with no clutch. luckily a 350 will fit right in and all you have to do is cut a lilttle notch out of the cowl where the carberator will go and either get a cowl intake hood or cut modify the hood. the kmember you can either buy a new one or build motor mounts. im opting to build my own motor mounts.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:04 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 97camaro89
ok so right now its staying with the stock cam and heads until i save up enough money. and yes its a mechanical gas pump and and mechanical fan with no clutch. luckily a 350 will fit right in and all you have to do is cut a lilttle notch out of the cowl where the carberator will go and either get a cowl intake hood or cut modify the hood. the kmember you can either buy a new one or build motor mounts. im opting to build my own motor mounts.
OK, so what's the story with the engine?

I gather it's old and you came by it someplace? What year? From what type of vehicle was it removed?

Just curious, with todays modern technology, why would you want to go to a carburetor and distributor as well as mechanical fuel pump? yes, I know you can make serious power with a small block (as long as you have the funds) but you can make good streetable power with newer technology and change your tunes in a few minutes via software.

You are going through all the work to drop in what is basically an old stock motor and will need to go through the gyrations to time it and then mess with the hood etc. have you driven an LT1 with bolt ons? How about an LS1 with bolt ons? Was that enough power for you? Can you live with less, because that is what you are installing?

If you are going to do all that work then I suggest you be sure that you can live with the type of power that you will have.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

seriously ... please don't use that flex-fan!!!
i don't know why they sell them?
just look at all those pieces that flex !!! with rpm.
it's not a question of if the go threw the hood , it's i hope your not leaning over it reving the sh-- out of it when it does loose a piece

Old 05-10-2010, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member

not to mention it will rob you of 45 hp or soo.
try and get a clutch fan at least, but electric is the best
you don't have to build a drag race funny car just yet.
just be sure of your supports when you start to invent stuff. you don't want the engine bolted solid to the frame! there needs to be a rubber isolator built in like the stock to keep it from vibrating your filings out.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:12 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i was actually planning on taking the fan off already i just thought it looked cool. the way it was painted. yeah i planned on using electric fans that work on a switch. the only thing i was keeping on the engine was the power steering pump. and sooner or later im going to replace the steering with a rack and pinion steering that way i don't need the power sterring. its actually a pretty well built engine. the guy that had it did alot of work to it. its out of a 75 monte carlo. but its not the stock original engine in that either. the guy bought it later down the road. and the reason im going to carb and dist is i just like the old fashoined technology. so thats why im doing that.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:15 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 97camaro89
i was actually planning on taking the fan off already i just thought it looked cool. the way it was painted. yeah i planned on using electric fans that work on a switch. the only thing i was keeping on the engine was the power steering pump. and sooner or later im going to replace the steering with a rack and pinion steering that way i don't need the power sterring. its actually a pretty well built engine. the guy that had it did alot of work to it. its out of a 75 monte carlo. but its not the stock original engine in that either. the guy bought it later down the road. and the reason im going to carb and dist is i just like the old fashoined technology. so thats why im doing that.

here's info from classicchevrolets. Again I ask, are you sure you will be happy? I hope somebody radically changed the heads and cam in that engine you have. Don't assume if you don't know. So, do you really want to begin from there based upon the below information? For those who weren't around, you really have no clue as to how pathetic v8's were from 1972 until the early 90's.

For comparison, if you have a 97 with the 3.8, then that was 200HP from the factory.

see below info

"With unbelievable shortsightedness, Chevy killed the Z/28 and pared the engine selection down to just three catalyst-equipped lumps for 1975 — the 250-cubic-inch six now rated at 105 horsepower, a two-barrel 350 V8 making a pathetic 145 horsepower and a four-barrel version of the same engine rated at a meager 155 horsepower."

Last edited by torque_is_good; 05-11-2010 at 03:19 PM.

Quick Reply: swapping to 350