Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 02:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Suspension Upgrade

Hey guys, its about that time for me to make some upgrades on my car and I'm looking to make some improvements on my stock Z suspension. At this time, I am only able to put about $500-$1000 into the upgrades so I was wondering if you guys could help direct me with what components I should look to upgrade...

I was currently looking at buying some new coil springs (Moog) and some shocker absorbers (KYB or Monroe perhaps?), but besides that, I am not really sure what direction to go so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks again for the help fellas!

Old 09-08-2010, 02:16 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

new shock/struts and coils are a great start. Other than that some lower control arms, sway bars, panhard bar, torque arm, and subframe connectors are all you can do unless you want to go stupid. I would say subframe connectors and sway bars should be at the top of the list.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:19 PM
NOOB
January 2012 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

Are you trying to establish a lower ride height?? If so, the lowering springs from Eibach will only set you back about $300-$400 and will not be such a harsh ride. And also, KYB>Monroe every day. The Monroe shocks are less than OE quality and are very spongy and only good for 50K miles. KYB AGX adjustables are good for 80k miles and are not that much more. So in total, you should be around your budget if you plan on doing the work yourself.

It will definitely be more than 1 grand if you had a shop do the springs and shocks because of labor. AND IF YOU DO ALL THE SHOCKS, REMEMBER TO ALIGN THE FRONT END OF THE VEHICLE BECAUSE WHEN YOU REMOVE THE FRONT STRUT, YOU INTERFERE WITH ADJUSTMENTS. AND WILL LEAD TO TIRE WEAR!

Old 09-08-2010, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't think I'm looking to lower the ride height right now. I plan on buying a body kit down the road to give the appearance of a lower ride height though. Thanks for the help guys!

Old 09-08-2010, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Is a rear or front sway bar more important? Just curious...

Old 09-08-2010, 02:51 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

do both, not just on, and consider the strut tower bar theyre like $60 and they really do keep the front end a little more stable when cornering,

Old 09-09-2010, 01:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Question for the shocks, if I'm looking at KYBs, do you recommend I get adjustable shocks or just direct OE replacements? I use my car as a daily driver, but I like to let it loose here and there, haha!

Old 09-09-2010, 02:37 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have KYB adjustables and I really like them. They work really well with the lowering spings I have. Gives a really good hwy ride and helps control the spins and slips when you're playing around.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by greenarrow
I have KYB adjustables and I really like them. They work really well with the lowering spings I have. Gives a really good hwy ride and helps control the spins and slips when you're playing around.
I've contemplated lowering my ride for a more aggressive stance, but thought it would be too much work. What would I need to replace; would i just need some adjustable shocks, lowering springs, and panhard rod or is there more to it? And how easily do the springs and shocks/struts adjust? I have 18" Z06 Wheels on my car right now, would that be an issue if I decided to lower it? Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by gagger84; 09-10-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:09 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have BMR lowering spings, the shocks/struts are easy to adjust, just a little **** you turn on the side, you can get to them by turning the wheels in the front, the back and little harder to get to.

Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrade