suspension "thud"??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Question suspension "thud"??

So as some of you may know I have a 1998 z28 camaro. For some reason ever sense I got it there has been a hollow sounding thud coming from the front area its not the engine and I cant remember what side it is on because its winter and I haven't driven it for a month. Any idea what this could be?? We (me my dad and the guys at a auto shop) have had it on a lift and didn't see anything broken off or hanging down.Keep in mind this thud only happens when I hit a decent bump in the road. So if anyone has an idea of what i can check or what it might be fire away.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

the thud is coming from the front left (drivers side) but handling is still fine.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member

mine does the same when i hit a decent bump. i need new springs i'm pretty sure, they're just wore out. if it was the shocks my car would bounce a lot, right? and it still handles well.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I was thinking springs two but im not sure I just want to see if anyone knows what else it might be

Old 01-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Banned

chevy couldnt ever really make a good suspension set up for this car, dont worry.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:14 AM
1st Gear Member

does it happen more frequently when you have more weight in the car?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

i havent really noticed But ill check next time I drive her

Old 01-29-2009, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member

if i have a decent-sized person with me, then it tends to do it more often. to be honest, i think your problem is different from mine. i'm almost certain my rear suspension just bottoms out due to bad springs. look at my car in the sig, notice how the back is squatted a bit lower than stock? it's worse with another person, then when i hit a bump, there's not much room for the wheels to move up, so it just smacks the car. not healthy, i know, that's why i'm always careful. i can't wait to get it fixed. anyway, look at other camaros and see if you think yours is sitting lower. from the pic in your sig it kinda looks like it is, but it's parked in the grass, so that's probably not accurate.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:04 PM
1st Gear Member

mines comin from the front left and the weight does not make a difference i think its a bad shock or spring

Old 02-04-2009, 01:16 AM
4th Gear Member

A buddy of mine bought a mustang from the auto auction as a fixer upper, its got the sway bars and strut bar aftermarket shocks and springs in the back but it doesnt have springs in the front (so the front is rather low and bumpy) it just has shocks and when he hits even a manhole cover it makes the same thud you describe. maybe its time to upgrade the suspension? that would be a fun weekend project imho and most likely fix your problem.

Quick Reply: suspension "thud"??