Sumitomo HTR Z II

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Sumitomo HTR Z II

I'm looking at throwing on Sumitomo HTR Z II this spring for my SS. I really love the thread pattern. Have anyone heard about those tires? Are they good or bad?

Old 01-25-2011, 07:28 PM
2nd Gear member

Those look hawt!

Old 01-25-2011, 07:28 PM
2nd Gear member

I bought these tires one year ago (ordered online on Christmas), after a pothole ate two of my previous tires and rims (HTR Z III on factory wheels). These tires are much better than the factory tires. The HTR Z III had better wet traction, so it took a little adjusting. They are noisy. It restricts talking on the phone at 70mph, but I don't like talking and driving. I have no complaints about dry traction though. They've saved me twice this year when dumb people decided to pull out in front of me. Emergency swerve at highway speeds not only only didn't put me into a spin, but the tires didn't squeal. Spirited acceleration can spin the tires a bit easier than the HTR Z III, but driving "conservatively" for this car (keeping 0 to 60 under 6 seconds) does fine. In a year of driving, there is barely any noticeable wear.

For the price, they're worth it. If you can afford the HTR Z III, get those instead. I opted for the cheaper purchase since I was to be mostly commuting. What a waste of a nice strong car, but at least it's fun to drive.

thats a TyreRack review!! hahaha sounds/looks like a good tyre, tho

Old 01-25-2011, 09:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm a huge sucker for tread patterns and our tires are wide as hell. I just think it would look sweet. I don't drive my SS in the winter time AND I try to stay out of the rain with it (only drove it twice in the rain last summer)

Old 01-26-2011, 06:34 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Knightrider03m
I'm looking at throwing on Sumitomo HTR Z II this spring for my SS. I really love the thread pattern. Have anyone heard about those tires? Are they good or bad?
similar pattern to the Nexen 3000

go to nextag.com and enter in the model tire you seek. Some places offer similar prices to tirerack.com but with free shipping.

The first week in December, I bought qty 4 Nexen 7000 for $400 including shipping 275 40 17

You also need to find out if a local shop will install them at a REASONABLE rate. If not, it may be cheaper just to go to a local place and buy a turnkey package. I'm lucky as I just go to a buddy's shop and do the labor myself.

So far we've eaten through Hankooks, Toyos and have moved on to a more touring pattern Nexen. "high performance summer tires" do not last long in the heat of Florida.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks like for the money the HTR Z III is worth the small jump in price extra 100$ gets you .5 better wear and .5 better noise...I'd spend it and they still look neat

Old 01-30-2011, 04:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm not worried about the wear or the noise since last year I only drove it 4000 miles and my exhaust is loud enough to drown out any noise form the tires.