Steering has gaps in pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Default Steering has gaps in pressure

Hello All,

Just bought a 1998 Camaro z28. The owner just put in a new rack and pinion unit. It appears to have a pressure gap when I make a turn.

I will start turning the wheel and feel no tension for about 3 inches and then bam I feel like I am actually turning the tire.

I will check the power steering unit and the guy did say it needed alignment.

Could Alignment cause that? Anyone have any other ideas?

Old 11-20-2010, 04:16 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check for any obstacles in the way and wires that could be wrapped up in the works. could be the pump. mine was acting like the belt was slipping so i changed the belt and nothing changed, new tensioner, no change. had a new pump so i called a place that rebuilds em and he told me the casting wears and lets fluid by the relief valve. mine only did it when turning hard to begin with and got worse till the only time i had power steering was pretty much straight ahead. changed pump and all fixed.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:25 PM

Does power steering make the steering wheel feel like there is no pull back or does it make it feel like you are turning without any weight on the steering. The reaosn I ask is because if the power steering was broken wouldn't it be harder to turn the steering.. not eaiser (easier as in gap in pressure or heavyness of the steering)?

Personally I like the heavy sports car steering.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:06 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ok then its like theres some air in there? im assuming to bleed air you have turned it all the way back and forth several times. make sure the shaft is not turning inside the coupler by the steering box.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

crabys right you need to turn the wheel back and forth all the way like 800 times to bleed thats honestly the only reason i havent changed my PS fluid

Old 11-20-2010, 10:38 PM

Wow guys, found the whole rack and pinion bar was move back and fourth the first 3 inches you move the steering wheel. The guy forgot to put the nuts on the bolts that go through and tie it to the frame...... I am happy because its a easy fix but scared... because that was a bad mistake and I know he did other work on the car... Oh well. I will fix it as I find it. Thanks for you help all!

Old 11-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

WOW hes a fckin retard

id go thru EVERYTHING and make sure he didnt forget anything else your lucky that didnt cause an accident

Old 11-21-2010, 03:20 AM
Overdrive Member

I only have one word for this one... wowwhatamoron.

I can only think that he thought those bolts had hidden nuts or threads to go into when he put them in... but you would think that he would have noticed them not tightening up... you would think...

Massey

Old 11-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Overdrive Member

It's easy enough to use a turkey-baster to suck the PS fluid out of the reservoir to change -- not sure that you can get it all that way but you should clear the reservoir at least, but also check your power steering hose -- I had mine replaced due to an odd thud noise at full tilt that GM had a technote for where they added a longer hose.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:52 PM

The bolts were compleltely loose. I just reached in and pull one out so I could tell what nut would work with it. He must of completely forgot about it, guess it could happen if your really busy.. but the car drove horrible with that gap in the steering so he should of thought something was up...

Quick Reply: Steering has gaps in pressure