Starts When It Wants To

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:16 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Starts When It Wants To

My car starts fine but every time I go to crank it, each time you can notice it gets slower and slower. Lets say I go crank it right now and it cranks regular, then an hour later I go to crank it again and it cranks a little slower. But then after turning the car on and off a few times the car finally dies and cranks no longer.
Could it just be a bad battery or could it be that its not holding a charge? The volt gauge reads around 13-14.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

How old is the battery and how cold is it outside? My vote is on the battery. I find that even with a dead battery the volt gauge will read 13-14 as soon as the car is running.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:59 PM
2nd Gear member

The battery is probably a few years old and found that it don't make a difference on the temp outside it does the same thing whether its in the 20's or 50's.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:47 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if the volts remain up in the 12.5 range using a volt meter and it wont turn over i would first clean the connections at the battery, wire brush the battery terminals and the battery cable ends. if that does nothing i would look to the starter. the starter may be failing once its heated up. the starters on these are not made to be gound on. excessive amount of start time will kill it. if i remember right there is a starter disable on the newer models.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:08 PM
2nd Gear member

I was thinking it was the battery because it sounds like its dying when its cranking. And when you jump it, it cranks fine.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:27 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep it sure sounds that way. when you change the battery, check the connections for piece of mind anyways.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:03 AM
3rd Gear Member

Not only does a battery need to be charged but it needs cranking amps. That is why you cannot use a battery from a 4 cylinder and expect it to last in a v8. Starting it when it is cold is the number 1 killer of batteries. A battery could hold a voltage perfectly and still be bad. That is why batteries like optimas cost so much. They have high cranking amps and also cold cranking amps which make a big dif in winter.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Overdrive Member

Aside from a battery you may also consider that when an electric motor gets hot it looses torque and power. If your starter is dying and getting weak, it could be slowing down because it is getting hot. It may be time for a new starter. A bench test will show the starter as good, but an on vehicle, test may show different. Also you may have to test it several times or crank the engine a few times and test it when it starts slowing down.

Massey

Old 02-14-2011, 02:14 PM
2nd Gear member

I've already checked the starter and its fine. But when I turn off the car from driving it, then turn it back on immediately, it cranks just fine. I'm thinking the battery is not holding a charge, maybe it's just old and time for a new one.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:22 PM
2nd Gear member

I have a problem with starting as well and since this thread is already up I was wondering if any of you guys can help me out. When the car sits still through a decent amount of time (about 4-6 hours) or overnight sometimes I have to crank it and it dosen't start right away I can keep craning it but it never starts, when I stop cranking it it seems to be trying to start but only after i stop craning it, when the car is turned off and then I get back into it after 5-10 minutes it starts right up. What might be causing this. I am really not sure why it would try to start just as I stop cranking it. I might post a video of this happening later on if i can't figure out an answer.

Quick Reply: Starts When It Wants To