Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 04:04 PM

Ok guys here is an update: I checked the ohms on the key resistor and at the bottom of the column and they are the same. So the key or ignition switch being the problem I guess is ruled out. I also tried to turn the key to the run position and let it set, I let it sit for 30 mins, and the pesky light is still on and still no start. Anyone have anymore ideas i can try before I: 1. Send it to the dealership or 2. Sell it to a junk yard! Don't get me wrong I love my car, but this has been going on for 2 days now and I have got to be able to get to work to support the family, so please guys, help me solve this problem. Thanks.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:46 PM
4th Gear Member

There is a theft deterrant realy in the path between the key cylinder and the starter. I am not sure exactly where the relay is located but it is under the dash and probably on the passenger side of the frame. It is a plug in type relay. It sends signal to the starter and the fuel pump. If I remember correctly, you said the fuel pump was working. Not sure if the relay can half work or not. According to shbox.com site one can bypass that relay. If it isn't the relay, then it according to the info, it could be the TDM or BCM.

http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html
http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.jpg

Old 05-17-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by osduck5
There is a theft deterrant realy in the path between the key cylinder and the starter. I am not sure exactly where the relay is located but it is under the dash and probably on the passenger side of the frame. It is a plug in type relay. It sends signal to the starter and the fuel pump. If I remember correctly, you said the fuel pump was working. Not sure if the relay can half work or not. According to shbox.com site one can bypass that relay. If it isn't the relay, then it according to the info, it could be the TDM or BCM.

http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html
http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.jpg

Thanks, I found the relay, its on the pass side of the dash, behind the glovebox. I swapped out the relay and no change whats so ever. I guess now i go to the tdm. My main question now is the any way to make a bypass for the whole passkey system?

Old 05-17-2010, 06:26 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jrock4202001
Thanks, I found the relay, its on the pass side of the dash, behind the glovebox. I swapped out the relay and no change whats so ever. I guess now i go to the tdm. My main question now is the any way to make a bypass for the whole passkey system?
Yes but you will need to go to the link I posted and get the information. There are wiring diaghrams and you will also have to get the car reprogrammed from what I have read. Getting another BCM is a gamble because they are only programmed for one of the 15 key codes.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:31 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have u tried to unhook the battery for twenty minutes? everything ive read points to a bad conection or bad passkey module.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by craby
have u tried to unhook the battery for twenty minutes? everything ive read points to a bad conection or bad passkey module.
Funny you should mention that! I walked out to the Z, unhooked the battery, and let it set for about 15 mins. I reconnected it starting with the positive and then the neg. NO MORE SECURITY LIGHT! However the starter acts as if it isn't getting power now, it won't even click. So my next step is track down the connections for the starter and see if there is a problem there, could even be a relay, if it has one lol. If all else fails it will be going to autozone to have the starter tested. Thanks guys for all the help! It is really appreciated! Can anyone think of anything else to check for on the starter end?

Old 05-17-2010, 09:24 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if u have a helper u can test the s or small wire to the starter, when the key is in the start position u should get power at the small wire. should have power to the big wire all the time. have u wire brushed the battery terminals and the cable ends. no leftover wires right. lol.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:43 PM

Yep I cleaned the terminals and battery ends. I'm going to let the car sit with the key in the run position for about 30 mins, with a charger on it to keep the battery from dying, just for the sake of it. However, I called the guy I got the car from and he informed me that he rebuilt the starter HIMSELF the night before I got the car, so who knows about that. I will try the wiring tomorrow and if that checks out then I will go pick up another starter. Keeping my fingers crossed, and dying to drive my lil slice of heaven soon lol

Old 05-17-2010, 11:23 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

my money is on the starter failing now. lol.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:47 PM

craby, I hope its something simple like changing a starter now. If that fixes the no start issues, I will be greatly relieved lol. Then the last thing to tackle is my power locks not working. Then I have a complete working car lol.

Quick Reply: Starting issues