SS Alternator Failed after New One Installed - huh?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Overdrive Member
Question SS Alternator Failed after New One Installed - huh?!

My alternator failed less than a week after being installed, and I am a little surprised... I suppose it could be a bad part, but could a weak but not bad battery cause a new alternator to fail? This is on an '01 SS. I noticed a squeak present after the new alternator was installed (GM part installed by Chevrolet). The belt seems tight, and this alternator along with the previous one's failure seemed to be triggered by aggressive acceleration... Does that ring any possible bells? Another data point, I did not remove or disconnect the battery over the winter, and this car is stored during the snow/ice -- I have heard a weakened battery can cause alternator problems putting a strain recharging a weak battery. Odd thing is though, the car has been out since spring, and the battery doesn't test to be bad, just a little lower than it should be...

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:11 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would say u got a bum alternator. a weak or bad battery will charge up fast and not put that much of a stress on the alt. a short would be a better guess on a cause if there is one.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:37 AM
4th Gear Member

Frist mistake going to the dealer to have alternator installed. Take it back to the same Dealer and have them replace it at no charge. Also forget about a weak battery causing the failure is just wont happen. I would blame the Dealer first.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Overdrive Member

When I picked up the car, the alternator seemed fine and the battery was good, but after less than 50 mi., the voltage was dropping and check gages light on.

I plan to go back, but, ironically, this replacement alternator was within the 12 mo. 12k mi. of the alternator replaced on the same car last year. Only reason the dealer did it was because it's covered under extended warranty...

So apart from the cost of dealer shops and often arrogant attitude one tends to get there, why do you say the dealer is the mistake? Had similar problems?

Old 08-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Overdrive Member
Lightbulb

Any suggestions on what could be causing the short? A bad ground? The terminals and battery cable connecting points are good/clean.

Originally Posted by craby
i would say u got a bum alternator. a weak or bad battery will charge up fast and not put that much of a stress on the alt. a short would be a better guess on a cause if there is one.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:40 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if u had a shop do it they should have checked for any power draws that would indicate a short. i would take it back to the shop and tell em u got a bum alt and they need to fix it. if i were them or u i would look to any aftermarket stereo power leads or something like that which is not fused.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Overdrive Member

The audio system is stock, the only electrical modification was a Gentek Compasx/Temp/Homelink mirror... I doubt that's the cause.

if u had a shop do it they should have checked for any power draws that would indicate a short. i would take it back to the shop and tell em u got a bum alt and they need to fix it. if i were them or u i would look to any aftermarket stereo power leads or something like that which is not fused.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:37 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

hopfully it just a bad alt. make sure when u take it in that they check the system for any unusual power draws and that the charge is getting to the battery.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:07 AM
Overdrive Member
Thumbs down

I dropped off the car, and they want me to authorize $130 for diagnosis in case it's something other than the alternator. Unbelievable. If the tech did the diagnosis wrong then it should be on them -- maybe they did an improper diagnosis in the first place.

hopfully it just a bad alt. make sure when u take it in that they check the system for any unusual power draws and that the charge is getting to the battery.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:19 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if u paid them to the the diagnotic on it the first time and it doesnt work then i would ask did they really do it. at least give them a hard time.

Quick Reply: SS Alternator Failed after New One Installed - huh?!