spark plug wire placement

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Default spark plug wire placement

Hey guys i have a 94 v6 camaro with 239k miles, it has been passed down through the family, And they are pretty hard miles. and when it was given to me the only stipulation of me being able to have it is to make it run, what i did was first inspected, noticed that every wire on the wire harness was melted to the engine, and saw that the low oil light stayed lit, when started (barely could stay running couldnt go over 30 mph if floored) gauges all were out of whack the rpm's didnt register, the oil pressure gauge stayes at 80 only gas and alternator charge read correctly. What i did was (i know cheap way but im broke have no money but i do have a spair 4.3 engine sitting in yard) traced back all the wire, from top of engine all the way back and down to transmission, every single wire atleast a foot from where it was plugged in was either bare or shredded looking, so i re ran them all with black tape every single wire, then got to the crank shaft position sensor, and it only had outside wires connected, middle was hanging down, replaced that, replaced oil level sensor, replaced oil pressure level sensor, and after i did all that took it out for a spin, The RPM's worked fine there was no miss, but the oil pressure gauge stayed at 80 till it warmed up and dropped to half. then i noticed as i idled at a stop light the longer i sat there the more the car would start to miss, i could speed up to 50-60 mph and cruise at it, it would stop the miss. still havent figured out why it does this, but i went ahead cleaned egr valves made sure they open and close, and no difference. and i also have no earthly idea of where i can place my plug wires cause they seem to want to either A hug right by egr valve or want to be draped over the intake and it burns them. Not sure if at one time there was some where to clip them. but sure aint no where now. and this is my biggest problem cause i notice also if i drive the wires if ran parellel they make car feel like the engine is about to blow engine misses so bad, but so far all i have found that works is if i run back left plug which i believe is the 6th cylinder around the outside of trans dip stick, ( and all other wires on this side as well) and have the 6th one go under the windsheild wiper plastic (mine is loose for some reason so i can lift it farely easily, then the 4th cylinders plug wire along the rubber on rim of the windshield wiper plastic, and 2nd one drapped over the black rubber intake hose. and the other ones wrapped in fuel line. also the 6th and 4th wire run like a x and same with 3rd and 5th. ( the reason i run them making a x is cause when ran parallel like a said before the engine has a terrible miss) 1st and 2nd stay off to them selves and i notice as i go down the road if hit to many bumps they move and i start missing terribly have to pull over and re arrange them again. Sorry bout how long this is. just wanna make sure i hit all the spots so its easier to diagnose

Old 10-15-2011, 11:57 PM
Tech Droid

From the sound of it, your car needs a new set of plug wires, preferably with silicone insulation. This is not a thing to cheap out as they can really affect how the engine runs. As you found out, it is not a good idea to run the wires parallel while at the same time touching each other, as that can induce cross fire and cause the engine to run crappy. Try to run the wires the same way the factory did. You can also sleeve the wires where they run next to hot spots to prevent them from getting crispified.
As for the engine slowly dying while idling, this may be cause by loading up with fuel. The injectors may be leaking and allowing more fuel than the engine can burn while idling.

Last edited by z28pete; 10-15-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:47 AM

well i have brand new plugs and wires that i had for a v8 chevy silverado, but they new i gonna switch those out in the morning.but the main reason i posted this was because like i said 239k miles and i believe the mounts or whatever held them in what ever place are broken/no longer there. so i was wondering if i could get a general area idea of each wire maybe i can ziptie or hold them some where some how, just main problem is i dont have any where to really hold them its either A rest on the engine (which i know is a bad deal) or B have them ran under the windshield wiper plastic. and also if my wires are bad how come i can sometimes. now like i said sometimes have the magic touch when i pull over and wiggle them around also i for some reason always gravitate and catch myself checking the crankposition sensor and egr wires as well.. but i do know that every wire on the wire harness is perfectly taped. have gone over it atleast 3 times the whole thing just to make sure.. also could this be a coil pack going out? and if so how do i test to see if coil is still good.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:52 AM

and as for injectors i checked o rings and dont see/smell gas but it could be gas building up from a small miss it has some where. The worst problem i have is i have never heard/felt the car when it didnt have any problems before but i do believe yesterday i felt it run perfect because i didnt even have to put the peddle down a eighth of the way and was going sixty and at what im used to having push the peddle to take off (bout half way down) was making it burnout. It felt like a camaro should atleast to me but right as i pulled in drive way from it running that good it started a slight miss. 2-3 hours later left to get a pack of cigarettes and bam it running like it only firing on 4 maybe 5 cylinders max very sluggish and missing horribly

Old 10-16-2011, 01:39 AM
4th Gear Member

Although I know not in your budget, but I think it's time that 3.4 got rebuilt or replaced for reliabity issues. 239k miles is a lot of mileage. It actually surprises me something major like a head gasket hadn't blown out.

From pictures I've seen of the 3.4, you should be able to run 3 and 5 under the throttle body and across the valve cover.. Check ebay or even a local parts store to see if they have some plastic clips to snap the wires into to hold them on the valve cover.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:00 AM

Lol Yes it is amazing, that nothing like that has happened specially considering the fact it hasnt had a thermostat for four years, its fan relay just went out ( i added a toggle switch instead lol) and it has been overheated countless times but, It has no knocking/ ticking noise. Only thing is kind of a faint whine to it. not sure if thats just how they sound but i digress Running 3 and 5 like that wouldnt it make the crossfire being so close? and my main problem is just the whole right side of spark plugs. And trust me i havent left computer, for a good couple of hours. ( tired of probing it myself have spent the last 3 weeks working on it) all i think i need is to Have a good general picture or details on where which wire should start run beside around and bout how close to other wires. i do apologize for wanting such specific's just i am tired of going "Wow all that work payed off finally its running good" *driving down the road hits pot hole or idles* What the **** man engine feels like its about to blow the vibrating putt putter O'death and EVERYONE can noticeably hear the car sounding like 4 cylinders max working

Old 10-16-2011, 12:06 PM
4th Gear Member

Found some photos of a 3.4L torn out. Might be able to help you get an idea of where they should be.

But those V6s can be put through a lot before they give. I know my 3100 out of my Buick was run pretty hard and that thing never let me down...at least not engine wise. Tire wise the damn thing put me in a ditch twice. Brand new tires too.

Attached Thumbnails spark plug wire placement-3.4l_c.jpg   spark plug wire placement-3.4l_b.jpg  
Old 10-16-2011, 02:04 PM

well, i Changed the sparkplugs and everyone of them were fouled up, Sadly i was only able to replace four wires, and kept the best looking two from the old set, I have two wires from a 4.3 v6 and two from a 5.7 v8 the reason i could only get two from each of those engines is the simple fact that they were the only ones with boots on the end. and also i re-ran wires once again. But I am so confident in the way everything looks that i havent even started/test drove it all since i fixed it. Also... gas aint cheap and i lost majority of the last tank i had due to missing. but I am gonna take it out here shortly. Lets see what happens

Old 10-16-2011, 09:59 PM

Wow so it is still the exact same, i waited till night to see where the jump is coming from. then i saw something i have never seen in my life, probably every 10 second a random spark plug wire would shoot a spark hittin the engine, some right at the end of the boot, and some just in random spots. wires are new all except 2 of them. and those two for some reason dont have any jumps coming from them but the craziest thing is that for some reason my Alternator has a good stream of sparks going along the belt. i thought hmm maybe plug wires to close to it. so i move the 2 that were near it and restarted it and still shooting sparks from alternator and chasing the serpentine belt, although the only other sparks i saw on belt was a very slight stream coming from the Power stearing pump. Please help!! i have a job i got to get to by atleast 2pm tomorrow, and i need car running good. dont like to drive it when its having problems. Cause then the domino effect starts

Old 10-16-2011, 10:04 PM

and if i run the wires as shown in that picture, as you see they are all ran together along side each other (parallel) my engine would run like crap and would get misfires. Also the alternator is not on the engine in the photo, and i believe placing my wires away from that would be best.. although i not sure. but i do know the stream of sparks have to be coming from something. i know the alternator is good. have gotten it tested. and keeps good charge.

Quick Reply: spark plug wire placement