sooo...moving on to sound systems

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 04:47 PM
2nd Gear member

It's coming along! Got speakers done and pioneer HU wired BUT we got couple wires crossed and will redo tomorrow. The car has 2 yellows. One is the constant and one is left rear speaker. They look same color and we're assuming they are crossed right now. We have the right front speaker working and it hasn't been on the 2 yrs I've had it. So we have two speakers working, 2 not and memory not holding.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:32 PM
2nd Gear member

Well this bites! Go to finish the job and it won't power on! Starting all over

Old 03-16-2013, 03:02 PM
2nd Gear member

Let's add car audio to the "not my cup of tea" category. Ok so here are my 2 issues. No sound on left at all UNLESS we hook the positive wires from stereo to negative wires coming from car. If we hook positive to positive, doesn't work.

There are 2 yellowish wires on car. One is a speaker wire. We've tried both ways and still don't get memory retention. There was 2 wires coming from car we didn't use. I can tell you specifically what they were if I had the book in front of me but it's in car. On the schematic posted on last page, it's the top 2 wires on left shown. They weren't used on old radio and they are grayish. Is there any other way to get memory retention?

Old 03-17-2013, 08:34 AM
3rd Gear Member

You sure the factory wiring is still intact? What "positive wires" are you referring to? What makes you think they are positive? Are you checking things with a meter? If you see the factory wiring diagram I posted, factory wires that have power on them should be brown, grey, yellow and orange. Each of those is also fused. Did you check the fuses? Orange and brown are hot at all times and one of those could be connected to you radios yellow wire for memory retention. Maybe the radio itself is jacked up.

Last edited by jkeaton; 03-17-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:03 AM
2nd Gear member

We know what the problem is now so we'll see if it works. Previous owner had red from HU hooked into orange and it should be in yellow. Yellow from HU goes in orange. They are backwards and we just followed their suit. We don't have wires from HU hooked to grey from car. What goes there? I think I read one of those are headlights but this HU lights up anyway.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:44 AM
2nd Gear member

Well we got the memory and power right but no left side speakers. Makes no sense cause when we first put in the rear speakers Friday with old HU, they worked. We just put it all back together. Maybe they will mysteriously come on lol

Old 03-17-2013, 03:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

Is the head unit new?

Old 03-17-2013, 04:02 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Is the head unit new?
No it was one we had in the camaro we sold.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:47 PM
2nd Gear member

Well now I'm wondering if this HU isn't shot. So to summarize: new speakers worked fine on Friday with Sony. Saturday tackled changing HU from Sony to Pioneer. After switching the 2 left speaker wires, we got them working but it was coming in and out. Left it alone and thought we'd finish Sunday. Never got left side to work since then. Today I put new wire from speakers to HU and still nothing.