Somebody stop me.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Somebody stop me.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/3171352387.html

Cheapest LS1 Trans am I could find(near me.) Went to check it out today, car is extremely nice. Of course, for that price it must have SOMETHING major wrong with it.

Salvage title.

Guy showed me a pic of the accident, car was rear ended. Hit hard enough to total it out. Bought back from the insurance company for $3500, and then repaired. He said the frame was straight, I'd obviously have it checked out first by a body shop. I know it seems overpriced but that's what they go for in NY. Part of me says stay far far away, but after seeing it in person and looking at the pics I took it's hard to resist at least considering it. Which is why I'm asking for your opinions.

Also it's funny 'cause I not too long ago pissed off one of my friends when he mentioned he was considering purchasing a salvage title Scion TC. I was completely against it, I'm a hypocrite. He wound up buying the car and so far he's had no problems with it.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:42 PM
3rd Gear Member

I can tell you this, Its amazing what a Good body shop can do. It looks lined up well from the pictures, Queens man btw, I know what they are going for around here too. ls1`s are like gold even though gas prices just went up another 30 cents. put up some of the crash pics here, some of the guys have a better eye for trouble than me. one thing you can do is measure the length from front balljoint to rear control arm on both sides, and then cross, and if all are equal when you check, then drivetrain should be okay, another thing is look at the frame rails for welds. the VIN plate under the windshield looks moved, has the windshield been replaced at somepoint? perhaps the passenger airbag blew it out to mars? just be careful. if you can beat this person to 4000 because of this cars history, then chance it and beat it till its finished, but for 6500 inspect inspect inspect! Id hate to see a Trans am or Camaro wiped out on the side of the lie because it doesnt go straight down the road!

Old 08-12-2012, 09:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

also none of the pictures are close ups with the t tops on, this is major if the tops sit flush on the body when locked or if they are raised and not. just look at a pic of randy travis`s one to see what im talking about

Old 08-12-2012, 09:51 PM
3rd Gear Member

Stay away. Salvage title cars are not worth the price, especially 6500. If you ever try to resell that car, being the second owner and NOT being the one who had the accident, no one will buy that car off you.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

This guy isn't the one who had the accident, he bought it from the guy who wrecked it. I will ask if the airbags had been deployed. And when I went to see the car today he had the T-tops off as well, perhaps he's covering something up? And thanks for the help guys. He seemed pretty firm on the price too, said he'd do $6300. If anyone has seen the show Carfellas apparantly the guy Joey from the Carfellas dealership offered him $6000 and planned to put it on the lot at $7500.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Here's an ad with better picture.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/3198448973.html

Would anyone be able to run the VIN for me?

Old 08-13-2012, 12:22 AM
3rd Gear Member

That car isn't worth $6k; offer 3k or walk. Its a 90k mile fbody thats been wrecked/totaled. You can do better mate, search in other states if need be.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:58 AM
3rd Gear Member

^^Agreed. I would not pay that kind of money for a salvage title vehicle. No matter how good the repair. The car is tainted.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

this reminds me of when i went to go see mine before buying, i told them dont even start that car before i reached there! im agreeing with the others with the 3500 ballpark. if you get this car, it is not an investment, just a car to beat and part out when eng or trans goes. get the kbb for our area and print out the private seller with accident and show him/her. and if u do decide on it, then walk with the 3500 cash, good luck

Old 08-13-2012, 01:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Just one more thing to consider, make sure your insurance company will cover a car with a salvage title. Most will, some wont.

Quick Reply: Somebody stop me.