smells like gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User
Default smells like gas

so i got gas on monday filled it today i noticed a gas smell i opened the hood no gas smell there went to the back no smell opened my gas door no smell only in the car i took off the gas cap and it didnt hiss (usually does) i havent seen any spots on my drive way but have noticed i have less gas than i should for the miles ive driven im starting to think its an evap problem any thoughts

Old 06-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

sry about the double post my comp fcked up and i thought i lost it but chrome recovered the post can someone delete this one and reply to the other one

Old 06-10-2010, 12:26 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you can delete it. click edit and ull see a delete button. click it... mine did that but after i fixed the evap i havent noticed it. that could be coincidence or i just havent noticed it yet. lol. i think the fumes have a way of getting through somewhere but i havent figured it out yet. only smell after filling the tank to. couple minutes later its gone.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Overdrive Member

Have you made a fuel pump access hatch? If so that needs to be sealed up good and tight or fumes can leak into the car. Also check all the hoses and the filler tube hose as well. Gas fumes are lighter than air so they will try to move up and the interior is the next place up.

Massey

Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

actually gasoline fumes are heavier than air. i learned that the hard way. dumping gas on a pile of brush to get it to burn. waited to long to light it and when we did whomp and the fumes on the ground all around the pile flamed on for a couple seconds. we had the gas can 15 20 feet away and the flames made it to it but it got moved in a hurry.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

i didnt see the delete button but you guys think its evap and no i havent cut an access door yet ive always filled the car when i get gas this is the first time ive smelt gas

Old 06-10-2010, 02:22 PM

Just a long shot, did you check by the fuel filter for the smell? Maybe you have a rusted out fuel filter? I had one do that to me. I also had a 94 3.4 car that when I filled it up and topped it off too much, the fuel would slosh out the breather hole for the cap and pool up a lil in the plastic surround. Took a while to figure it out until one dusty dry day i noticed dirt collecting on a spot by the gas door.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by TorqueWrench
Just a long shot, did you check by the fuel filter for the smell? Maybe you have a rusted out fuel filter? I had one do that to me. I also had a 94 3.4 car that when I filled it up and topped it off too much, the fuel would slosh out the breather hole for the cap and pool up a lil in the plastic surround. Took a while to figure it out until one dusty dry day i noticed dirt collecting on a spot by the gas door.
i checked the filter it looks good but i am going to replace it soon (car doesnt start unless i let the pump run) im thinking i should take the evap canister off but i dont know what im looking for

Old 06-10-2010, 04:27 PM
1st Gear Member

if its only happening when its running, check the o2 sensors. when mine were out i was running rich and the exhaust had a gasoline smell. you can try cleaning them off and putting them back in and see if it worked.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:29 PM
1st Gear Member

wait, never mind, i saw in your mods you have a cat delete.

Quick Reply: smells like gas