Slow Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Default Slow Battery Drain

1995 / 3.4 / Automatic

This started about a month ago and I have had to disconnect the battery each night before going to bed or it would be dead in the morning. I was going to start pulling fuses, one at a time, but I was hoping that this problem may not be too un-common so I thought I would start here.

-I just replaced the ignition switch (a total *****) on the advice of a few people - didn't help.

-I do have an electric drivers seat and I have checked to see if glove box light, console light, interior light, stays on.

-I also have a factory Bose system which the clock stays on after car is off - not sure if that's normal.

Would an OBD diagnostics tell me what is pulling the amps?

TIA

-fitz

Old 03-24-2007, 02:28 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Slow Battery Drain

obd 2......... no try unpluging the interior light fuse. im thinking its the gove box.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:08 PM

Thanks for responding blu. I checked and all interior lights are going off (console, glove, etc.).

I talked to Chevy dealer today and they said the clock should not always be on. They suggested it might be the "B??" - I forget (some 3 letter acronym and "Body" was the first word). He said it controls all of the switches I think and other connections (fans, etc) and that it's located under the dash on the passenger side. They said it was not cheap - like $200.00+.

My car has a Bose system which also has a Kenwood CD changer wired into it (about ten years ago). I pulled the Bose system out today and used the tester on it and noticed that two wires, an orange one and what appears to be a white one (definitely very light colored though) had juice going to them with no key in-unswitched. The orange one I figure is for the radio presets but I don't know why the other (white) one would have juice to it. The red and yellow wires from the Kenwood "box" mounted behind the Bose in the dash are, coincidently, spliced into the same orange and white wires with unswitched power going to them. The Kenwood box has the antenna splice from the existing antenna, red and yellow wires, 2 power wires - I believe one red and one white and the wired remote lcd window which shows the current cd or song playing. I also checked for power behind the Kenwood splice and there is still definitely unswitched power to both wires. I'm going to check a schematics for the Bose and see if two unswitched wires in the harness are normal.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:28 AM

My 95 is doing the same thing. I pulled the altr. out , tested at the auto part store and they said it was bad.Put a new one in. Just did that today ? The clock is still on.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:50 AM
3rd Gear Member

Sure they are going to tell ya its bad, you bought another one didnt ya...Its like the woman who dries into the service station and says my car is making a noise..just fix it please...

Old 04-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Tech Droid

Put an ammeter in series with the POS battery cable. Turn key off, the draw should be less than 1/3 amp. If it is more, pull one fuse at a time till the draw drops, do the same with the fusible links. The one that causes the draw to drop is the bad circuit & now find out what is wrong with it. There are fuses under the hood and on the side of the dashboard.