Should I get something like a 95 vert?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Default Should I get something like a 95 vert?

I am 16. Someone just T-Boned me on Monday and totaled my old car..well my mom has a newer camaro and I think its awesome. I also like the 3rd, and 4th gens tho. There is a link below of the car I'm looking at. Does the price seem to low? You think this one looks ok? I don't really like the paint, but I'm going to paint it soon if I get it..are these pretty dependable cars? BTW, because of insurance I will probably only get a V-6. I can drive stick and love it! But all the 5spds seem to cost twice as much..?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

Old 10-15-2010, 12:15 PM
4th Gear Member

greetings fellow gulf coaster

look for receipts that show the engine was rebuilt

you do know it's an automatic; correct?

If it's in good shape, then that's not a bad price but watch for the "dealer fee"

Old 10-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You should look for 96+ They have 3.8's which have more power and better highway MPG. The 3.8/5 speed is a fun car to drive and one of GMs most dependable drivetrains. You will want to avoid rag tops unless you really really like them. They are a pain as daily drivers.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Overdrive Member

Everyone should own a convertible at least once in their life -- if you have never owned one, they are a blast in good weather!

On another note, many people junk cars that are fixable for a reasonable $ if you do most of the work yourself -- obviously each situation is different...

Old 10-15-2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
You should look for 96+ They have 3.8's which have more power and better highway MPG. The 3.8/5 speed is a fun car to drive and one of GMs most dependable drivetrains. You will want to avoid rag tops unless you really really like them. They are a pain as daily drivers.
So besides speed would you say the 3.4 is the same? Or is it more prone to problems? I can do stuff like changing oil and transmission fluid but I can't do the more in-depth stuff, like a engine swap.

I don't think verts look bad with the top up, and yea I think it would be really fun. I live in SC so verts are nice during the summer. Hows it had to deal with as a DD? Are they noisy? I have no idea, my family has never owned a vert

Old 10-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I used to have a 96 convert. and no it wasn't very noisy at all, not until I "fixed" the quiet exhaust anyway. What are your emissions regulations by you? Here in IL, only cars 1996 and newer get tested. That means with 1995 and older cars, anything goes as far as modifications are concerned.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

3.4 is a decent motor and it has been GMs work horse for a long while but you are talking about a 3600 lb car. You should test drive a 3.4 and a 3.8. The 3.8 is rated 35 more HP then the 3.4. the 3.8 also responds to boltons a lot better then the 3.4. Hitting 240 HP with bolt ons is not a problem.

I was not even thinking about the noise. American made rag tops leak but even when everything is working and it is rain if you put your window down to grab a happy meal you are getting soaked. Tops also shrink and tear. They are easily damaged. You have to be careful where you park it because someone can break in real easy and if you **** someone off they can cost you $1300 with a flick of a wrist and a box cutter.

I am a rag top lover and I drove one as my daily driver for the better part of a decade until I got hit by a huge chunk of ice flying off a Semi. It split the top right down the middle and cut my face. I still have my 67 rag top for cruising but I am all about the t-tops for my DD. The time Convertible are great is warm evenings. Most summer days are too hot for top down cruising.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-15-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

i live in SC also and drive a vert wish a had the ttops tho i never throw the top back its way to hot the biggest problem i have is highway driving the little *** window makes changing lanes a nightmare also the top squeaks like a btch ive tried lubing everything including the seals but that seems to only work for about 3 weeks or so also if you smoke be prepared for lots of ashes in the eye with that much wind blowing around in there

ive read that the 3.4 doesnt make it much past 200k either if i were you id keep looking for a 96+ 3.8L coupe it has a much better engine

Old 10-16-2010, 02:12 AM
3rd Gear Member

A 3.8 will most likely be easier to fix as well because its has many interchangeable parts from other 3.8 cars. There are LOTS of 3.8 fwd out there. If i where you id get a 5speed ttop. I love manual trans and love having a hardtop with the option of "convertible".

Old 10-16-2010, 04:04 PM

Well I found a 2000 Camaro 5 speed on craigslist.
Here is the thing, I got t-boned and my car is totaled. Well it was a family friends, he has a huge crush on my mom...weird
I am trying to convince him to get the Camaro, its only $2700. He wants a Chevy lumina(spelling ?) I am like WTF?!? 0.o
I mean I'll be happy with anything that runs but why not get the Camaro if its the same price. The camaro has 119k miles on it, and the other car has only 80k miles on it and is a 97..and he is so hooked on the fact that it only has 80k miles. And he is 70, so he had to drive stick before, but doesn't like it. How can I convince him? I mean I think 119k is still low, my dad has a 05 Xterra and he put on 240k miles on it. Hasn't had a problem with it yet..I was also telling him that sticks get better mpg, but he says no..I always thought they did? PLease help me here

Quick Reply: Should I get something like a 95 vert?