Shopping for a 4th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 10:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes that car not for the snow,mine eh,it's no collector .
I did treat it with rust protection and have washed it as much as possible. I've seen many new camaros here in wny,it surprises me how many but I do keep a look out!

Old 02-21-2016, 11:24 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well the basic's of any value is supply and demand. A car like that is in very low supply. The other cars you posted could be found all over the place but a non-SS striped down for racing car that has never really driven is pretty rare. You are still going to have to deal with a value if you are going to finance it. Clean car fax is key to the value of this car. The finance company knows an entry under body damage will kill the value. If you get in a minor fender bender and it is not your fault you can actual go after the loss of value to the car. If it is you fault your screwed. I have a friend with an 03 Shelby mustang with 2,800 miles on it, he got rear ended and he got the car fixed and a 5k check for the lost value.

You still want to have it checked out. How long has it been sitting? has the coolant been maintained? if the coolant has not been changed every 3 years it could eat into the aluminum heads and block, not to mention the gaskets and seals. How old is the fuel? If it has not been done the brake fluid should be changed. Even the 16 year of trans fluid may need swapped. Tires could be dry rotted. Dry rot from a tire that has been sitting may not show up real easy until you drive it. If the tires are original plan on replacing them or find another set of rims for driving around and keep the originals for shows.

Last edited by Gorn; 02-21-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:55 AM

Absolutely. I would still have it checked out no matter what.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:13 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 80sz
The blue book is low. I just bought a 2002 v6 camaro last fall. I did pay more than I wanted .I liked the car,great shape,never drove in snow,35,000 miles,auto,old man driven. I paid 7000.00,at a dealer, I know,but I wanted it.
I am nervous about getting hit or cracking it up as the value is less than I paid,I will have to be cautious,but hey it's still sweet ride.
I have also ben driving it in the snow,it's okay,I did put snow tires on it,it helped immensely! I'm more worried about ice buildup in the jambs,when I open the door there is a lot of ice crunching going on,those plastic parts make me nervous .
My 99 while it looks good ,I was very surprized to see the 5 holes under the car ,2 control arms sway bar ,had to have it spayed the whole under of the car ,not with oil ,with that bed liner like stuff .to get it past inspection ,it will only take about 5 winters to couse damage depends ,mine I think was combo of not being stored in winter every year of its life ,my 95 is 99.9% rust free ,couse parked on drive way an stored every year ,so I would try to limit that , the grass an graval also are not good for the cars to park them on ,I sprayed my 05 sable as best I could ,this year 50 50 I would ay is parking outside an driveing in snow ,I try to wash the car a lot too but got some bubbles starting in wheel wells ,that are now sprayed

Old 02-21-2016, 06:37 PM

Thats how my 95 base model was. It looked great on the outside, ran great too even with 176k on the 3.4. Once i got underneath it, i found 2 fist size rot holes in the left & right rear floor pans.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:41 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

That 97 the dealer has is pretty nice also,, to bad its not the Lt4,

Old 02-23-2016, 04:12 PM
Default Is $5700 to much for a 2002 base v6

Originally Posted by 80sz
The blue book is low. I just bought a 2002 v6 camaro last fall. I did pay more than I wanted .I liked the car,great shape,never drove in snow,35,000 miles,auto,old man driven. I paid 7000.00,at a dealer, I know,but I wanted it.
I am nervous about getting hit or cracking it up as the value is less than I paid,I will have to be cautious,but hey it's still sweet ride.
I have also ben driving it in the snow,it's okay,I did put snow tires on it,it helped immensely! I'm more worried about ice buildup in the jambs,when I open the door there is a lot of ice crunching going on,those plastic parts make me nervous .
I just bought a 02 base V6 Camaro for above book value of $5700 with only 28K miles. No damage and runs good. Wondering if I paid the right price for it. What do you guys think?

Old 02-23-2016, 06:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CC2002
I just bought a 02 base V6 Camaro for above book value of $5700 with only 28K miles. No damage and runs good. Wondering if I paid the right price for it. What do you guys think?
Blue book primo shape from a dealer was 5200.00, you did good.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:34 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CC2002
honestly, it doesn't matter what is our opinion about what you paid.

The value of any goods/service is what a ready/willing/able buyer will pay to a ready/willing/able seller at that moment

If you were willing to pay $20,000 for that car then that is the value that you placed upon it.

But, here's the rub. Do not ever assume that because you paid X for something that come time to sell it, the next buyer values things the same

Ask the people who bought gold for $1800 per ounce in 2012 and how they feel about the $1200 per ounce value today

Old 02-24-2016, 09:49 AM

Just an FYI I bought an 02 with 7063 miles last October for less than $20K
6 speed manual, with a LOT of upgrades. ( in excess of $15K in parts when new)

Look long and hard and you will find one, I had also found an 02SS with less than 5K miles during my search

Quick Reply: Shopping for a 4th Gen