security light

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Default security light

i dont kno wuts goin on or how this problem even exist, but the security light will come on in my car win i try to start it and it will prevent the car from turning over. if anyone knos how to fix that problem i would really like the answer, i drive a 1995 v6 all stock so its tha same stock wiring and all that...any help is appreciated. thank you

Old 01-14-2010, 10:38 AM

I'm pretty sure Your car has a passkey ignition system, which means that there is a little chip (resistor) in your key and when you put it in the ignition, it reads it and starts your car.If there is not the right amount of resistance, the car won't start. Your problem may be the key.

If you have more than one ignition key, maybe try starting it with the another one. If this doesnt solve it,the issue is probably somewhere in the ignition and it could be a pain in the butt to fix. If it comes to that, a Camaro service manual would be a good tool to have

Last edited by SgCamaro; 01-14-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:45 AM

okay i c, ya i herd something like that before, but jus this mornin my key broke in half, and its the only one key i have for the ignition. but if the ignition has to read a chip from the key is it possible to bust the ignition with like a screwdriver or something and eliminate that problem, i havent done it yet but im runnin outa options to fix this the cheapest way. thank u

Old 01-14-2010, 11:00 AM

on your key, you should see the little black thing on each side which is the chip and in the middle of each side of it, there are little metal contacts. they touch to contacts inside the ignition and thats how it reads the chip.your chip is the only thing that would make it start because it has the exact amount of resistance the ignition is set for. touching the ignition contacts together with anything else wouldnt work. i suppose with a lot of hacking you could tear the ignition and connect the contacts to the chip but i wouldnt reccomend even trying it.it would cause way more damage. the only real solution, if the key is in fact the problem, would be to get a new key. if you look into the ignition, you can kind of see where the chip is meant to line up with the contacts.

where is your key broken? is the chip not on the same piece as the teeth of the key?

Last edited by SgCamaro; 01-14-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:08 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

welcome to the forum. how about posting a couple pictures of the beast. u can get a vats bypass that fools the computer, u can make one by getting a resistor from radio shack and make it yourself, u can have it removed by having the computer tuned. try posting in 4th gen lt tech section. do a search for vats bypass and u should have lots of info to go through.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:31 PM

rite rite, i get wut ur sayin, c the key i use to start my car is the spare, win i bot the car thats wut the guy gave me. im not sure where the chip key is but ive never used or seen it...on that note wut do u kno about the neutral safety switch...see my cars a standard and the button sits behind the clutch rite, and the whole key chip thing kinda cancels out rite cuz im using a spare key to begin with, i do not have a owners manual so if tha questions are kinda lame im sorry, but i was told the nutrl sfty switch could fix that problem too, i dont wana waste muny if i dont have to ya kno....thank u

Old 01-14-2010, 02:20 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

nope as far as i know vats is separate from the clutch switch. if theres no resistor on the key then it may already be bypassed and its a different problem. its just a little bump on both sides of the key. have u had it scanned for stored trouble codes?

Old 01-14-2010, 02:47 PM

i have a 94 camaro and i was stupid and grounded out my electrical system because i ghetto rigged my amp and subs. my car wudnt start either. i had to take it to a shop and they had to pull the bottem of teh dash off underneath the steering wheel. they bypassed my chip in the key and ran a resister wire under the dash so the chip in the kep wud not be nessary. i wud take it in and ask them to look at it. your car cud possibly have the same resister wire set up as mine and the wire cud have gone bad or sumthing?

Old 01-14-2010, 03:02 PM

oh ok ok, ya i understand wut ur sayin, ima take that shiz in today c wuts up.....btw i have had the car scanned and everything seems to check out, i got nuthin comin bak that would relate to starting it. ima do it again, seems worth it. ill get bak...thnx

Old 01-19-2010, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

go to radio shack and get a the 100 assorted resistor pack. get a meter and measure the resistance in the key. find a resister that is close then wire the resister into the plug inder the dash(the fat orange one)...your welcome!