Rust 96 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 08:13 AM
Default Rust 96 camaro

I have a 95 Camaro. It is constantly building rush but where has not been figured out. I have had several people to check it out. I have the motor pulled and was told the block was fine and did not have any rust. I replaced the water pump 2x. I flush it every couple of weeks. I replaced the radiator. I still have no idea where the rust keeps coming from. Oh, I replaced the heater coil also. Has anyone had this problem or know how to help?

Old 10-24-2015, 10:40 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

what kind of antifreeze are you using?

Old 10-24-2015, 10:55 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by simmons
I have the motor pulled and was told the block was fine and did not have any rust.
You replaced pretty much everything but the engine block. Whoever told you the block was fine is right, as long as they scoped all of the coolant passages to visually see it was all clean. If it was an external "yah hey she looks good to me", then you still may have some built up sludge inside.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by craby
what kind of antifreeze are you using?
Dextron for gm

Old 10-24-2015, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
You replaced pretty much everything but the engine block. Whoever told you the block was fine is right, as long as they scoped all of the coolant passages to visually see it was all clean. If it was an external "yah hey she looks good to me", then you still may have some built up sludge inside.
If there is sludge what could I do? It is also running hot. Could I need to flush the back up jug?

Old 10-24-2015, 12:54 PM
4th Gear Member

.an i found a flush can be good or bad ,i did one on my lt1 an there was so much junk in it flush made it worse ,sometimes they radiator needs replaced , could be from the bottom of the radiator ,collects in bottom over time ,an some anti freeze the good stuff from gm an an orange color looking rusty ,i was think it with mine ,but its just the orange color anti freeze ,an plenty slippery ,you can tell the feel in diffrence with rust an good anti freeze feeling with your fingers ,

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 10-24-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:58 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The dex cool turn brown and looks like rust mud. Unless you coolant has been replace every 2-3 years you have a bunch of this mud all through the system. My 96 was dealer maintained its whole life. After it spun a bearing I replaced the motor with a used one. I flushed the motor and I flushed the radiator and got two handfuls of the mud from the bottom. I replaced all the hoses and the water pump. I put in the green anti freeze. 4 years later I still get some orange/brown crap in my overflow.

While I do not think most of what you are seeing is rust just old dex cool. Old coolant can cause rust. As the antifreeze breaks down it can become a mild acid and can cause the block to rust. Most likely your mechanic know its mostly dex cool. The first symptoms you will see from a rusty/acid coolant is rapid water pump failure and your freeze plugs will rust out long before your engine is in any danger.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
The dex cool turn brown and looks like rust mud. Unless you coolant has been replace every 2-3 years you have a bunch of this mud all through the system. My 96 was dealer maintained its whole life. After it spun a bearing I replaced the motor with a used one. I flushed the motor and I flushed the radiator and got two handfuls of the mud from the bottom. I replaced all the hoses and the water pump. I put in the green anti freeze. 4 years later I still get some orange/brown crap in my overflow.

While I do not think most of what you are seeing is rust just old dex cool. Old coolant can cause rust. As the antifreeze breaks down it can become a mild acid and can cause the block to rust. Most likely your mechanic know its mostly dex cool. The first symptoms you will see from a rusty/acid coolant is rapid water pump failure and your freeze plugs will rust out long before your engine is in any danger.
We have replaced the water pump n freeze plugs already. The car just keeps seeming to hot. Constantly flushing, don't know what else to do. Should I just replace the motor? Will that fix the problem?

Old 10-27-2015, 09:15 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

what engine are we talking about

Old 10-27-2015, 12:59 PM
4th Gear Member

could be a gasket leak ,i am guessing 3.4l or 3800 lt1 ,since late in the year they had all 3 i think ,though wikapedia says the 3800 came out in 96

Quick Reply: Rust 96 camaro