Road trip soon

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes

???? Have you ever looked at a car engine? If the crank pulley is not moving, your engine is not running. It is not supposed to turn when the car is off. Your other pulleys will move freely without the belt on. And yes all of the pulleys will move when the car is on. haha. What do you think that belt is for? The only one that will disengauge at times is your ac compressor. I am thinking you might not want to drive this car very far.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:06 AM
1st Gear Member

no i have never looked at a engine before In my life. But I am slowly learning so bear with me

Last edited by noah3210; 03-09-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:18 AM
1st Gear Member

When the motor is on, the inside is rotating. That turns the crank pulley, which in turn moves the belt. Because the belt is attached to all those other pulleys, they turn too. The serpentine belt's purpose is to ensure that all of these components come on when the car is on.

These high-mile cars are a great way to learn about what my father would call "car science." I've learned more about cars from fixin' up my Camaro than I've learned from every other car I've driven combined. If you're good at taking things apart and rebuilding them, and have a basic understanding of how stuff works, then you'll do great with this car. If not, I suggest finding a great mechanic really quickly.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member

oh sorry for the latness I put the belt on and I got everything going fine I am about to replace the front bumper and I fixed that tailight i do think that my idler pully might be going bad because When I am doing just a little bit of driving the engine temp is going up alot a little wayz pass the halfway mark i am not sure but I will replace it anyway. just a quick question does the idler have ribs or is it smooth I think it might be ribbed but I am not sure.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:17 AM
In the Staging Lanes

That idler pulley will not make your engine heat up. Are your fans turning on? At least one of them should turn on right away. If it is hot outside having it run just above half is not a problem. Check your fluid level first and go from there.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:48 AM
1st Gear Member

thats a good question about the fans it was running pretty hot lets say about 75% maybe above the 3rd mark I havent drove it since I dont know what it is but I will worry about it later when it gets that high the weird thing was that i rode to lansing from flint about a hour ride up and back so 2 hours together going only 90mph and it didnt get that hot but when I went down the street maybe drive about 15minutes going only 30 it got really hot.

It was a good trip beautiful day and I bought a jensen vm9510 for only $80 so yesterday was a good day

Old 04-17-2010, 11:51 AM
1st Gear Member

It might be the fluids I am not so sure hey has anyone ever installed that jensen vm9510?

Old 04-18-2010, 12:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It should not be too difficult to install. You might have trouble getting to your AC controls. If you have a stock radio you will need a new mount and a wire hookup.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I already found a guy who will do it but I am just going to wait until I get amp and just get everything setup all at once. Also about the engine temp I think it might be the fans because I did some research and some people was telling me that it might be the water pump but if it was it would most likly be some kind of leaking of some sort and there really isnt so its ok. In the mean time I am turning on AC on full cold when I drive to turn on the fan I am not sure if this is good or not or if it is working so I dont know.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:52 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep a bad water pump will leak. as far as the fans go u should hear them come on when u turn on the ac.

Quick Reply: Road trip soon