Ride quality? Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Ride quality? Opinions

Anybody know how these ride and handle? Also I am a tiny bit worried about the 1 inch drop that I have read that they give. I have 18x9.5 tires on all four, but right now there is no rubbing whatsoever. Any input would be much appreciated.

They are SLP 70002 Spring and shock set. Bilstein/Eibach Shocks/Springs

93-02 Bilstein/Eibach Shocks/Springs (Front/Rear Set | WS6store.com

Again thanks!! =)

Old 04-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Overdrive Member

I would be looking at Strano lowering springs and Koni SA shocks if you want to lower.
Strano Performance Parts - Parts Catalog

Some Eibachs are known to prematurely sag.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:18 AM
2nd Gear member

I have them, the ride is fine. Firm but not harsh. There is minimal drop in the front, but the rear drops about an inch. Like liberty said, eibachs tend to sag though. I'm going on about a year and are not sagging yet, but we'll see. If you're looking to keep the stock height, just the SLP Bilstein shocks are great with stock springs. You can always do the hose mod in the rear to lower the rear a bit.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:35 AM
In the Staging Lanes

@liberty, I live in michigan and the roads here are not the best, so I am not looking for any drop really. an inch I could live with. XD

@vanquishfist I don't really want to keep my stock springs as I have just over 190k on the car =D haha. what I am really worried about is tire clearance. I have 255/40/18's on there if I remember correctly. Are you using oem size tires?

Old 04-05-2012, 07:36 AM
In the Staging Lanes

also @vanquishfist, what kind of sway bars do you have? I was looking at getting the front and rear package from UMI. I like that they are a bit bigger and are chromoly. =)

Old 04-05-2012, 12:39 PM
2nd Gear member

I'm running SS sway bars- 32mm front; 19mm rear. They're great if you're on a budget, but if you want something better you can't beat Stranoparts sway bar set. The UMI set should work great too, but will be a little heavier.

You can always buy new OEM style springs, rockauto has them for a good price. A set of SLP Bilstein shocks and new stock height springs would cost less than the 70002 SLP set.

Yes I have OEM size tires. I don't think you should have any issues with your tires. I don't blame you for not wanting to lower your car, I've driven on Michigan roads plenty of times...

Old 04-05-2012, 01:30 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

new springs will not change ride quality but will raise the car a tad. im using strano's hollow front and solid rear and am very impressed. the quality of the shocks dictate the ride on these cars. i have koni adjustables and are great shocks, they are rebuildable. the slp bilsteins are the least expensive quality shock i would look at. look here and see if the info for lowering 18 in and fitment page 2 i think. they have changed the site a bit so things have moved
http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/whee...topics-312442/

Old 04-05-2012, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

So your saying new stock height springs would not improve the ride quality over 20 year old tired springs?? Assuming all other variables stay the same(i.e. new shocks/suspension bits)

Old 04-05-2012, 05:22 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the different parts of the spring are still the same rate as when built so the reaction will be the same at different compressions. there may be a very small difference but your not going to notice it. if your not looking at lowering i would recomend getting shocks and sway bars first then think about springs. the difference i had with new shocks was like night and day. sway bars also were very noticeable.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have moog springs on there with about 25k on them. also monroe sensatrac's. that is my set up all around. the front springs have a 290lb/in rate and the rear have a 104lb/in rate. looking for something a crap ton stiffer. right now, anything would be an upgrade. but I don't think I could do more than a 1-1.5in drop with the wheels and tires that I have on right now.

Quick Reply: Ride quality? Opinions