Red vs Black Paintjob

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 05:26 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default Red vs Black Paintjob

My car is currently red. My paint is messed up beyond repair so im just going to repaint. Im torn between red and black. Anybody have any pics so i can make a decision? Or maybe some other colors?

Old 07-12-2010, 05:54 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You planning on doing it yourself? You are aware of the cost/work differents between staying with an existing color and going with a new color?

Black look great, even more so at night. Its a bear to keep clean and it show every small defect. If you are going black you need to make sure the body prep is near perfect. A small ding that is almost unnoticible in red will be seen 10 ft away in black.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:26 AM
3rd Gear Member

i plan on doing some of the work, im talking about looks only idc about price or works needed right now

Old 07-12-2010, 09:32 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Google images will give you 100s of images any color you would like. I have owned both red and black. I will never buy a black car as a daily driver again.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:35 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

i'd stick with red simply for cost reasons. black is by far my favorite color on a car...but its expensive and a pain to completely change colors. to make it all exact, you WILL have to take the motor out so you can paint the engine bay. something to think about.

and i'm closing your other thread on the same topic

Old 07-12-2010, 09:45 AM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

i have a black car as a daily.... so its not always perfectly clean... so it looks beautiful when it is...

Old 07-12-2010, 09:47 AM
2nd Gear member

Well I'm gona tell you straight up red paint is gona be more expensive then black one, thats a fack. The black paints get dirty quicker cuz of the dust and all the other gray-white **** that flies around. In my opinion I think that black is wicked! Especialy when you tint the windows and the light on it. Its still your choice but red is gona cost you more.
Good Luck,
Sebi

Old 07-12-2010, 10:44 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by sebi1990
Well I'm gona tell you straight up red paint is gona be more expensive then black one, thats a fack. The black paints get dirty quicker cuz of the dust and all the other gray-white **** that flies around. In my opinion I think that black is wicked! Especialy when you tint the windows and the light on it. Its still your choice but red is gona cost you more.
Good Luck,
Sebi
Are you talking about the cost of the paint itself? You mean the $80 differents? That is nothing compaired to the cost of the extra prep work it takes to get a car ready for a nice coat of black.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:40 AM
2nd Gear member

i like to torch red

Attached Thumbnails Red vs Black Paintjob-photo0055.jpg  
Old 07-12-2010, 01:33 PM
2nd Gear member

I don't know what type of red GM used on the Camaros, but one thing to think about is how fast some single-stage red paint oxidizes. My 04 Civic is single-stage red and it has to be buffed every so often to keep it from oxidizing and looking like it's turning pink, lol.

I want to paint my Camaro black, but thanks to whammer for pointing out the engine removal bit, I had overlooked that. Maybe when it's time for a rebuild I can change the color of my car.

Quick Reply: Red vs Black Paintjob