radio headunit help

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

While we are on this subject, does anyone know if the the guages on a '95 Z28 instrumnet cluster can be repaired?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

repaired as in how??? like gauges arnt working or the lights???

Old 12-15-2010, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Some of the guages don't appear to be working, can't really drive the car, it has a bad engine knock. But the fuel guage is pegged way past full, the voltmeter doesn't move, and I don't know if the temp guage works, I just move it from one side of the driveway to the other to keep the code enforcement ****'s off my butt. Oil pressure, idiot lights, tach and speedo seem to work fine.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

if its got a knock im sure the last thing to worry about is the gauges lol

the fuel is the sending unit somethings messed up in there and the volt... well i dont really know where that gauge gets its info from

Old 12-15-2010, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Just making my list of things to fix and how to fix them. I know in '03 all GM guages prety much went to step motors, so you just replace them when the guage quits or starts acting erratic, if the guage is the problem. The fuel guage doesn't move, key on or off, it's just pegged. As far as the knock, another thread, another time. Can you say REBUILD. Why I bought the car anyway. I'll wait and pull the sending unit when I drop the tank, I'm sure there's something in my service manual on all of this, just haven't looked. By the way, I just picked up 7 stock stereo units from 94 to 97 camaros, so, Jank if you know the part # on your stereo I'll check the ones I have and maybe I can help you out.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

why are you dropping the tank its REALLY a big pain in the butt the rear, driveshaft, and exhaust have to come out and then you need to wrestle the tank out and the filler neck doesnt come off and is steel and has to get thru this little hole that is in no way big enough it took me like 5-6 hrs to pull and reinstall the tank in my car

Old 12-15-2010, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Jank - I also have bose unit, delphi part #16258146 (UM5) out of a 2000 caddy, has cd and cassette. Might fit your 2000 camaro, you'd have to check, if your interested I can make you a dela you can't refuse.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Dropping the tank is a pain, this I know. The car sat for 2 years before I bought it, the exhaust system needs work and I am going to replace the drive shaft with an aluminun one, already have it, anyway. Frankly the car is pretty much gonna be stripped down and rebuilt. Already bought all new body bushings, springs, stabalizer bushings, etc. The really only good thing about it is the body, transmission, rear end, glass and interior. Nothing is missing off the car, except the stereo. Gathering parts and waiting for warmer weather.....

Old 12-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

sounds fun

Old 12-15-2010, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Being sarcastic? I guess it all depends on what you want. I really want to make sure the tank is good and clean and replace the fuel pump, car has 162k on it. If you have a better way of doing that I would love to hear it. I'm not looking to do work that I don't need to do. Reason I'm replacing the springs, it was lowered, don't like the look.

Quick Reply: radio headunit help