radio headunit help

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 06:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Default radio headunit help

Ok guys i need help here. About a year ago i got into the car one night and most of the lights in the radio/stock headunit didn't light up...here is a picture of what i am talking about. If anyone knows what is wrong i would appreciate it if you could help me out.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:56 PM
4th Gear Member

Does the radio work as far as coming on and hearing music? If not check your radio fuse. If everything works but the radio lights, start looking at the headlight switch that has the dimmer control for the dash lights.

After taking a second look at your pic, it looks as if some of the lights are energized on the radio, which would lead me to think internal lighting of the radio itself and I don't think they are replaceable unless you are VERY good with a solder iron and can find the right lights locally.

Last edited by osduck5; 12-14-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

sorry os but thats not it

if only a few of the lights work its because the rest are blown and are almost impossible to change unless your willing to pull the radio apart which is an adventure all in its own my suggestion is to either upgrade to a nice aftermarket or check junkyards, craigslist, or ebay for a new one

Old 12-14-2010, 10:06 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
sorry os but thats not it

if only a few of the lights work its because the rest are blown and are almost impossible to change unless your willing to pull the radio apart which is an adventure all in its own my suggestion is to either upgrade to a nice aftermarket or check junkyards, craigslist, or ebay for a new one
Yeah, I caught a second look an edited my original post after seeing part of the lights energized.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Overdrive Member

yea blown bulbs. There are a few shops here in my area that will replace them but it will run you about $100. The bulbs are grain of rice size maybe smaller and are soldered to the PC board. not a fun task to fix.

Massey

Old 12-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

shoot mail me the radio ad ill hook you up for 50 buck im a mad man with a soldering gun

Old 12-14-2010, 10:24 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
shoot mail me the radio ad ill hook you up for 50 buck im a mad man with a soldering gun
Will you do the little ckt boards behind the dash on my Suburban? Those LED's are so small they almost look like diodes. Heck I can't even get a solder iron small enough to just melt one lead without touching another. Makes the whole vehicle look like crap inside at night to have lights out hear and there.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

lol ya i have a very fine point tip (i took robotics in hs so all this was needed)

Old 12-15-2010, 08:30 AM
1st Gear Member

BC, are you saying you can solder those little tiny lights on the back of the instrument clusters? Do you think you can switch then to LED with the resitors if you had the kit with the cluter? I have a couple out on my '95 Z71 cluster and there is a kit you can buy to switch them to LED. I'm all thumbs with a soldering iron though.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help guys. I guess I should ask for a nice new Kenwood headunit for Christmas!!

Quick Reply: radio headunit help